• Replies 22.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As someone recently pointed out, I am very much a "glass half empty" kind of guy.   That being said, occasionally there is a beam of joy in the misery that is my life.   Today,it was coming home a

It is a perfect day in Paris too. Had a lovely walk around the 9th this morning, and will soon be going to meet a friend for lunch, it will be nice to eat outside.

Because of some holiday, the subway is very empty today.

Posted Images

Update from Austin. Plumber came Sunday morning. Confirmed heater ruptured. Didn't even charge for a service call. Boil water notice lifted for my neighborhood mid-day Monday, for rest of city on Tuesday. It's been in the upper 70s and lower 80s for the last few days. What a difference a week makes.

First shower at the Y Monday - what a joy. Have been religiously checking the Amazon site to see when my unit would ship, knowing that until it shipped, the order could still be pulled. Finally this afternoon, status changed to shipped. May arrive on Friday. Then to find a plumber to fix it. But I'd rather have a heater and no plumber, than a plumber and no heater. 

Just saw that our wonderful Texas grocery chain, HEB, has donated a million dollars to Texas food banks.

Whoever runs these spam call centers must have just thawed out today - jumped from a normal 5 or so spam calls a day on my landline, which I never answer and for which I've cut off the ringer, to 25 calls already today, split evenly between the auto warranty running out and the security breach on my iCloud account. 

35 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

Hey wait.  I thought it was MY auto warranty running out (and I don't even have a car) and a security breach in MY iCloud account (nor do I have one of those).

I got the same voicemail about my (nonexistent) iCloud account 20+ times yesterday. It made me miss the one about my imminent arrest for Social Security fraud unless I CALL NOW.

Our son answered one of these calls at our weekend place and played along for maybe 5 minutes or so.   It was quite delicious.   But you have to accept that these are just people trying to eek out a marginal living.     Smarmy yes, but so is much of our commerce.   

What I really love are the duct cleaner guys who say it's time for our annual cleaning, altho we have never hired them and, worse, have no ducting.    Then there is Tim who regularly calls soliciting for the Police Association.    Riiight.   And last week the one from a political central committee who asked for husband, then said that I would do.    No, I told them, you definitely don't want to talk to me.