• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As someone recently pointed out, I am very much a "glass half empty" kind of guy.   That being said, occasionally there is a beam of joy in the misery that is my life.   Today,it was coming home a

It is a perfect day in Paris too. Had a lovely walk around the 9th this morning, and will soon be going to meet a friend for lunch, it will be nice to eat outside.

Because of some holiday, the subway is very empty today.

Posted Images

Okay, because I am sitting in a very nice bar in Harlem with nothing better to do, here is a wedding hangover story.

I was to attend the wedding of a dear friend in a village church just outside Oxford. Not best man, just needed to be there. And this was black tie or whatever so I had rented a suit.

At this time I was living in a studio in Soho, London, sharing a bathroom with the studio next door. Since the other studio was occupied by various Scandinavian or Dutch female students, this was no burden.

I do not know now what happened the night before the wedding, but I succeeded in getting royally drunk. I set my alarm so that I could climb into the formal suit and get to Paddington Station for the train.

I woke up to the alarm with a catastrophic hangover. Not to be deterred I dragged myself to the shower. As I ran it, I felt very weird tingling all over my body, to the point of pain.

”You have really overdone it this time,” I told myself. But I got to the wedding on time.

When I got home, very late that night, there was a sign on the door of the bathroom warning that because of some problem there was a danger of electrocution.

A proper hangover is when you are being electrocuted but think it’s normal.

33 minutes ago, Wilfrid said:

n my experience (proper) hangovers and walking for years on a smashed arthritic hip were useful prophylactics against undue suffering from less serious complaints.

Try both hips and now one bone-on-bone knee.

I haven't had a"proper" hangover in probably 40 years.   Since then I've just experienced "bouts of minor dehydration".   The one I will never forget was after a night of after-ski drink and dance, full breakfast including bacon, then finding myself at the top of the mountain at Squaw Valley, looking down and feeling very queasy and repentant.   I didn't eat bacon again for probably 20 years.   Told people it didn't agree with me.

I got the flu shot a few days ago.  Slightly sore shoulder and a bit of redness, and that was it.  I have plans to get the shingles vaccine soon and that one I'm really not looking forward to.

Today's RTBC: the local fancy grocery is now one of the few places carrying bagged Boichik Bagels.  Means that I don't have to shlep to Berkeley and stand on line, but I may need to get an advance on my paycheck to pay for them. 😆

13 hours ago, hollywood said:

The shingles shot is ok, but it's actually 2 shots.

14 hours ago, StephanieL said:

I got the flu shot a few days ago.  Slightly sore shoulder and a bit of redness, and that was it.  I have plans to get the shingles vaccine soon and that one I'm really not looking forward to.

Today's RTBC: the local fancy grocery is now one of the few places carrying bagged Boichik Bagels.  Means that I don't have to shlep to Berkeley and stand on line, but I may need to get an advance on my paycheck to pay for them. 😆

GET the SHINGLES SHOT!     I had the original shingles vax and still came down with it.   I am sure I had a minor case but, trust me, YOU DON’T WANT SHINGLES!    I believe the newer shot is much more effective.

• Like 1

I want the shingles shot, but it's expensive in Canada! I had shingles maybe 15 years ago, and it really was a mild case compared to cases I later read about. Very very ugly though, but fortunately the rash was on my torso just under my armpit, so no one could see it. Wearing a bra was really uncomfortable though. 

(An aside, in Japan they refer to shingles as herpes (since it's herpes zoster). Imagine my surprise when my doctor told me the rash under my arm was herpes.)

At around $200 for the pair of shots, it’s cheap at twice the price.   It’s not just a rash but a neuralgic complication that causes affected areas to be excruciatingly painful to the touch.   For a month or more.  It becomes an emotional albatross that you can’t shrug.   Intense itch, pain, angst…have I convinced you to get the shots?

I'm definitely getting the shingles shot--there's a standing order for me in my Kaiser record--but I want to pick a Friday before a weekend where I'm not doing anything.  I don't need to make an appointment.

On 10/2/2021 at 6:34 PM, Wilfrid said:

My best flu story.

I was working in a very large law office in London. One of my friends (who had previously worked there) was to marry one of the women working there and I was to be best man.

The week before the wedding, virulent flu decimated the workforce. I caught it and two days before the wedding I was laid out in bed thinking I would never be able to perform my duties.

But I was okay by the time the day came. Others were not, including the bride, who had to be held up at the altar and left the grand wedding breakfast after five minutes.

Best day of your life.

My friend, the groom, was fine. And rather typically had no intention of leaving the grand wedding breakfast to nurse his spouse.

How long did the marriage last if this is how it started?

And how is it that no one else has asked this question?