As part of my job, I write up a weekly news round-up that gets published on our website under my name. (It's geared towards a particular medical specialty.)  The latest one went out on Friday, and it already has nearly 23,000 views, with promotion on social media and via our member newsletter still to come.  I can assure you that I never expected anything I worked on to get such attention.

• Like 2
  • Replies 23.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As someone recently pointed out, I am very much a "glass half empty" kind of guy.   That being said, occasionally there is a beam of joy in the misery that is my life.   Today,it was coming home a

It is a perfect day in Paris too. Had a lovely walk around the 9th this morning, and will soon be going to meet a friend for lunch, it will be nice to eat outside.

It takes 5:00 to hang a picture, yet somehow I could not find the time for this one until now. It used to hang in my grandparents' house in the Bronx, and it's why I chose the color of this

Posted Images

Not only do they have the wine I particularly enjoy at The Grange (La Patience rouge), but they have the cheapest bottle in the city. It's a table wine at a table wine price, but it's much more fun than that sounds.

And the cheer continues. Fairly perfect day. Beautiful weather up in Saratoga and one of my best days at the track in years. Plus a Double Shack Burger, several good beers and a truly amazing JRAD show at SPAC to close it out. The band (and the crowd) were on fire which made for a glorious 3 hours and 20 minutes of music in an excellent venue. They even covered Smokey Robinson which was a real treat. Easily the best JRAD show I've ever seen. 

In my province, you have to be 18 to buy a lottery ticket. Yesterday, I asked the 7-11 clerk for a lottery ticket and she asked to see my ID. 😁 

I was wearing a mask, but at least my eyes must look young! 

On 9/1/2022 at 11:26 PM, bloviatrix said:

Beautiful weekday at the beach. I would make a really excellent retired person. If only I could find someone who would bankroll the lifestyle.

I had that insight when I was eighteen. 

Beyond cheerful, I have posted enough about the magical concert I went to last night and the iconic sandwich shop I luckily got to just before it closed today, but I am moved and so happy that I am in a place where those kinds of things can happen.

Aw, pass the tissues I have something in my eye.

8 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

I am moved and so happy that I am in a place where those kinds of things can happen.

I (and we) agree with this, but also on a long passeggiata last night, Significant Eater and I were kind of bemoaning some of the changes happening. She actually said to me that she sometimes feels a little scared or tense when walking along - something that never crossed her mind pre-pandemic.  There's almost a feeling of a return to the decade or two of when Manhattan/NYC was really not that nice...much more graffiti, many more homeless who aren't been properly helped, etc. etc.

One quick example - pre-pandemic, Seward Park (the actual park) was granted around $6mm for a spruce up - it was one of a few parks to receive funds specifically for upgrading...Parks Without Borders. And they did a really nice job, opening up the park to the surrounding streets, incorporating the front of the landmarked library into a plaza opening to the park, etc. etc. It's quite wonderful. It's also a small park, and heavily, heavily used. Significant Eater meets a friend every Saturday morning for coffee; they like to sit in the park - but not necessarily next to the guy's living on the benches, or peeing into the bushes, etc. etc. It would take a task force of, say, half a dozen people, working literally around the clock, to keep the park clean and lovely, which isn't happening. 

I guess it's all about being able to take the good with the bad, as NYC has always been.

Seward Park was a regular stop with my daughter when she was little and it was lovely.

You're right, of course, that the needle has moved noticeably in the direction of NYC being less nice. But (and you go back much further than me) we surely have a long way to go before swathes of the city are dangerous and off-limits. I can remember never going east of Avenue A or above 125th Street, and the South Bronx was just frightening.

It doesn't feel anything like that, although I admit things like this are troubling:

https://www.amny.com/new-york/manhattan/woman-shot-dead-union-square-east-village-september-1-2022/

1 hour ago, Wilfrid said:

But (and you go back much further than me) we surely have a long way to go before swathes of the city are dangerous and off-limits. I can remember never going east of Avenue A or above 125th Street, and the South Bronx was just frightening.

Agree with this, other than the times I had to go east of A or above 125, or to the South Bronx...in the 70s!! Driving a Checker, I always felt pretty safe. There was the "partition," or bullet-proof shield between you and your fares. And the doors could be locked from the driver's area.

However, while many of those areas are today unrecognizable compared to "back then," and while there are indeed crowds and crowds of people at every turn, I truly don't think there are fewer predatory people out there, per capita. There may even be more.