You may be right.

During lockdown there seemed to be a boom in sketchy characters on the streets, but I thought they just stood out more in the absence of workers and tourists. Perhaps I was too optimistic. 

Typing this from Times Square which was still something of a problematic area when I was first here in ‘89. It’s nothing like that now; but of course there does seem to be a higher chance of random violence than pre-pandemic.

• Replies 23.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As someone recently pointed out, I am very much a "glass half empty" kind of guy.   That being said, occasionally there is a beam of joy in the misery that is my life.   Today,it was coming home a

It is a perfect day in Paris too. Had a lovely walk around the 9th this morning, and will soon be going to meet a friend for lunch, it will be nice to eat outside.

It takes 5:00 to hang a picture, yet somehow I could not find the time for this one until now. It used to hang in my grandparents' house in the Bronx, and it's why I chose the color of this

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Wilfrid said:

If anyone wants to hear the story of me getting stranded late at night in the South Bronx on that first trip, let me know. 🙂

At least you avoided Sherman McCoy's fate.

Just about.   I was navigating our drive south from NE into NYC, delivering son's stuff to his new digs.    I switched maps of different scales and before I knew it, signs said, NYC.   Yikes!   "Take the next off ramp." Just like Sherman.   Ooooops.   GET BACK ON!.    Done.   Sigh.

13 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

If anyone wants to hear the story of me getting stranded late at night in the South Bronx on that first trip, let me know. 🙂

If you tell that story, I can tell the story of driving to Fort Apache (aka the 41st Precinct house) with a guy locked in the back of my cab, refusing to pay. When I got to the precinct, a couple of cops basically took him out of my cab, turned him upside down, shook him until money fell out of his pockets, paid me and then told me to get lost.

8 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

And now Mott Haven is a cute mini-dining destination.

Let's not push it; my oldest friend (from 4th grade!) rented in Mott Haven for a while, then they bought a house in what they call Morrisania/Concourse. It's a toss-up as to which place I feel/felt better about going to.  Though they did have a nice corner bar/dive in Mott Haven.

6 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

Let's not push it; my oldest friend (from 4th grade!) rented in Mott Haven for a while, then they bought a house in what they call Morrisania/Concourse. It's a toss-up as to which place I feel/felt better about going to.  Though they did have a nice corner bar/dive in Mott Haven.

Have you been to Mott Haven recently?  The blocks around Hudson Smokehouse and Chocobar Cortés?

10 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

If you tell that story, I can tell the story of driving to Fort Apache (aka the 41st Precinct house) with a guy locked in the back of my cab, refusing to pay. When I got to the precinct, a couple of cops basically took him out of my cab, turned him upside down, shook him until money fell out of his pockets, paid me and then told me to get lost.

So my first time in the city and I want to go to Yankee stadium. I had thought this was 1989, but research suggests 1990. I get tickets for a night game. Having no idea about the subway system, I think cab to the stadium, then cab back. First part of that plan worked out.

At the end of the game, I head out with the crowd, expecting to hail a cab. I could not believe how fast that crowd made it to their cars and vanished. In minutes, I am standing on an empty street, late at night, not sure what to do. Maybe I need to walk to where the cabs are; I set off. I know I walked past the big court house. Nothing, except the consciousness of some movements in the shadows; people watching me curiously.

Out of nowhere, a cab screeches to a halt and the driver yells at me to get in. He already has a fare but I am not going to argue. "What the fuck were you doing?" was the gist of the conversation as we headed back to Manhattan with the squeegee guys jumping out and banging on the cab windows.

• Like 2

Am reminded of an evening, many years ago, when I'd invited two corporate honchos for dinner.   New Yorkers.   They arrived by cab.   Great evening.   When they were leaving, I suggested we call them a cab.   "No no, we're fine."    The next day in the office they confessed that they were completely blindsided by SF cab realities.   Apparently and predictably they walked for blocks and blocks and blocks before finally encountering a rover well after midnight.

4 minutes ago, voyager said:

Am reminded of an evening, many years ago, when I'd invited two corporate honchos for dinner.   New Yorkers.   They arrived by cab.   Great evening.   When they were leaving, I suggested we call them a cab.   "No no, we're fine."    The next day in the office they confessed that they were completely blindsided by SF cab realities.   Apparently and predictably they walked for blocks and blocks and blocks before finally encountering a rover well after midnight.

On a business trip to SF back in 2010, I took BART from SFO and got off at Montgomery Street, thinking I could just hail a cab on Market to my hotel up on Bush.  Hahahahaha.  I had to schlep that suitcase all the way up the damn hill. 

No wonder Uber and Lyft took off so quickly.  Hell, I had to take a Lyft a couple of weeks ago when the F line suffered a breakdown and there was no other realistic way to get to work from the Ferry Building.  I don't like ride-sharing services and would have gladly taken a taxi if there were any cruising around.  It would have taken forever to first call a taxi and then wait for it.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Have you been to Mott Haven recently?  The blocks around Hudson Smokehouse and Chocobar Cortés?

Only going to or from somewhere.

There are a few blocks which are nice. Drive Walk down (or up) Bruckner Blvd. a bit, or even Alexander Ave...

and let me know how lovely it is.