• Replies 22.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As someone recently pointed out, I am very much a "glass half empty" kind of guy.   That being said, occasionally there is a beam of joy in the misery that is my life.   Today,it was coming home a

It is a perfect day in Paris too. Had a lovely walk around the 9th this morning, and will soon be going to meet a friend for lunch, it will be nice to eat outside.

Because of some holiday, the subway is very empty today.

Posted Images

Yesterday afternoon I got a phone call from someone whose name I didn't recognize. She then said, "You knew me as . . . " giving her maiden name. After a few minutes thought, I said, "You used to be in some of my classes."

"Yes," she said, "Almost thirty years ago."

We talked for almost an hour. She has a Master's degree in history and a law degree from Northwestern and is a prosperous and successful partner in a sizeable law firm in Colorado. Her reputation, she says, is partially based on the fact that her briefs are always competently argued and always elegantly, clearly, and simply written, and she called me in partial fulfillment of a New Year's resolution to thank those she thought most responsible for her success.

"I remember everything you taught me about writing," she said, "On my wall's a plaque that says, 'Have something useful to say, say it clearly, concretely, and concisely, and hire a secretary for the grammar, spelling, and punctuation.' You said that in class once, and that's why I called."

hire a secretary for the grammar, spelling, and punctuation

Finding that secretary is getting harder and more expensive. It's amazing how many won't even bother to use spell check.

We talked about that. She has devised a test that everybody in their clerical pool has to pass, and she's arranged to have the director of that pool liase with professors in her local Community College's English and Business departments so that her firm gets first dibs on the most talented secretarial graduates.

I am surprised that anyone who can spell and knows decent grammar is interested in being a "secretary."  People who can spell and know decent grammar are a rarer and rarer commodity.

The idea of 'secretary' in my business is almost completely outmoded. Admin people wear many hats these days and in my end of it which admittedly is the boutiquey high end of it the money and perqs are good. We have someone here who although her computer skills are awesome and she is organized and efficient is pretty much as thick as two planks when it comes to any general knowledge. She didn't know for instance know that Beirut was in Lebanon but thought it a country unto itself. She makes a little over $80K per year and is always telling me she needs to find a more high-paying job. :wub:

At UCSF undergoing tests and if I pass I'm on the list for a new set of Lungs. Hope to be transplanted and outa here soon. Then the hard work starts. I'll be on as I can here. Bruce :wub:

Set? I thought you were just doing one? Or, do you have to do a pair at a time? Good luck.

At UCSF undergoing tests and if I pass I'm on the list for a new set of Lungs. Hope to be transplanted and outa here soon. Then the hard work starts. I'll be on as I can here. Bruce :wub:

Good place.

Do motorcyclists have to wear helmets in California?

We have someone here who although her computer skills are awesome and she is organized and efficient is pretty much as thick as two planks when it comes to any general knowledge.  She didn't know for instance know that Beirut was in Lebanon but thought it a country unto itself.  She makes a little over $80K per year and is always telling me she needs to find a more high-paying job. :wub:

Jesus. I know where Beirut is, and when I am not completely inebriated, can even spell stuff good. You should hire me as it will be years before the math world can even begin to make a credible counter-offer.

edit: g.johnson has a sick sense of humor. Me like.