• Replies 22.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As someone recently pointed out, I am very much a "glass half empty" kind of guy.   That being said, occasionally there is a beam of joy in the misery that is my life.   Today,it was coming home a

It is a perfect day in Paris too. Had a lovely walk around the 9th this morning, and will soon be going to meet a friend for lunch, it will be nice to eat outside.

Because of some holiday, the subway is very empty today.

Posted Images

My son has rec'd full acceptance to every school he applied to, and has decided to attend th University of Colorado at Boulder. I would have preferred Cornell or U of Vt, simply because of location...but he fell in love with Colorado, and seems so energized and excited now that the long testig/application and acceptance process is over...does anyone remember that feeling...60 days left of highschool, your world unfolding before you, and that glorious feeling of overwhelming confidence...he's almost glowing, and his friends seem to be the same way.

Really, the college application process is so arduous, so stressful and for many kids it's the first time they're being compared and judged on a national level..when its over, its like the entire family can take deep breath.

And, I am looking forwrd to exploring Boulder. I'm proud to have raised a son independent enough to feel comfortable with being so far from home, and being smart enough to be able to choose what college he wanted, instead of letting colleges choose him. He's very committed to a public university, after attending a small private prep school. At this time, he's planning on a Political Science degree

My son has rec'd full acceptance to every school he applied to, and has decided to attend th University of Colorado at Boulder. I would have preferred Cornell or U of Vt, simply because of location...but he fell in love with Colorado, and seems so energized and excited now that the long testig/application and acceptance process is over...

tell him to steer clear of indian professors in the english and comparative literature departments if he wants that glow to linger...

My son has rec'd full acceptance to every school he applied to, and has decided to attend th University of Colorado at Boulder. I would have preferred Cornell or U of Vt, simply because of location...but he fell in love with Colorado, and seems so energized and excited now that the long testig/application and acceptance process is over...does anyone remember that feeling...60 days left of highschool, your world unfolding before you, and that glorious feeling of overwhelming confidence...he's almost glowing, and his friends seem to be the same way.

Really, the college application process is so arduous, so stressful and for many kids it's the first time they're being compared and judged on a national level..when its over, its like the entire family can take deep breath.

And, I am looking forwrd to exploring Boulder. I'm proud to have raised a son independent enough to feel comfortable with being so far from home, and being smart enough to be able to choose what college he wanted, instead of letting colleges choose him. He's very committed to a public university, after attending a small private prep school. At this time, he's planning on a Political Science degree

Boulder is a wonderful place to live. My daughter was born there, and I still have friends there. I found it a little disconcerting that the university seems to be more conservative than the general population, which is unusual. Maybe it's shifted since we lived there.

Anyway, it's a great city.

My daughter is a freshman at CU Boulder now, planning on majoring in Poli Sci. She's very happy with it, and feels she made the right choice to go there, even though she grew up in the area (she's a product of Boulder Valley School District) and didn't get to experience a totally new environment.

My daughter is a freshman at CU Boulder now, planning on majoring in Poli Sci. She's very happy with it, and feels she made the right choice to go there, even though she grew up in the area (she's a product of Boulder Valley School District) and didn't get to experience a totally new environment.

Hey, your kids will meet in the Poli Sci thing, huh? Foodie offspring meeting!

Hey, your kids will meet in the Poli Sci thing, huh? Foodie offspring meeting!

The only complaint my daughter has is about the dorm food. Lucky for me; if I want to see her, all I have to do is offer to take her out for a meal.

Kim: I don't know if your son has submitted his choices for housing yet, but tell him to apply for one of the Residential Academic Program or Honors dorms.

Have you read the WSJ cover story about the jilted fiance?  Story itself is political in nature so can't be discuessed, but my goodness is it trashy fun.  You can't make this shit up.

Just when you think the WSJ is too stuffy for words they turn all Dynasty on you.  Deeelicious Friday reading.

Headline so I can Lexis/Nexus it? I love a good evening gown in the pool episode. (I'm sure this is what U of I had in mind when they sprung for this service...)

Sorry Behemoth, but the WSJ keeps making Mozilla crash for some reason so I can't get the exact headline. It definitely used the term "jilted fiance" though, so I think it'll be easy to find on L/N.

thanks for the heads up...strangely, this son-of -a-chef will no doubt love cafateria food....he's a bagel/pasta/pizza kid, and I'm lead to believe that most collegee food programs are heavy on the carbs.

I brought Connor to all the colleges he applied to, EXCEPT U of C@Boulder.

When Connor and I visited collleges, I tended to drive there, or use a discount airline. Once there, I often opted for the Days Inn or eqivalent...For example, we drove to the Univ of VT from NJ....we checked into the Days Inn, walked around Burlington, went to a Brew Pub for an early dinner, went to the B&N, and my big concesssion was to let Connor rent a pay per view movie while I went to sleep. The next day, we took the college tour,and got on the road afterwards. Pretty much the same drill when we did the Cornell/Syracuse drill and the U of VA, GW. GT and Vtech HOWEVER, Connor checked out U of Colo w/ his dad...they rented a Hummer... and David let Connor drive. They went out w/t he staff of a place called "The Kitchen" ( dont know anything about it) but Connor apparantly had a drink at the bar...which at 18, rocked his world and lets not get into what the hell his dad was thinking. Yes, I've considered that Connor chose this because of the percs... but he's a pretty pragmatic kid, and really, his 18 yrs on earth so far have amounted to way more than a illegal drink.

I felt really part of his process...and I feel really good about his decision. I knew he was favoring a large public U, so when we got the Cornell acceptance,, a part of me fell into the junior ivy mind set....but its not what is right for Connor, and so I worked it through ( hey, I won't lie..in my world, a CORNELL rear window decal speaks volumes) (and my husband is dealing w/ Connor rejectng his Alma mater, Middlebury..also a coveted decal!) but...LIVING WITH THE KID, HIS ENTHUSIASM AND CONFIDENCE IS CONTAGIOUS. Everyone who loves him agrees he will thrive in this atmosphere.

colorado, boulder is always a contender for #1 party school. the students have rioted only once: when the authorities had the temerity to crack down on sales of beer to minors*. now, if so many of them weren't also right-wing this would be a good thing.

*story here.

I felt really part of his process...and I feel really good about his decision. I knew he was favoring a large public U, so when we got the Cornell acceptance,, a part of me fell into the junior ivy  mind set....but its not what is right for Connor, and so I worked it through ( hey, I  won't lie..in my world, a CORNELL rear window decal speaks volumes) (and my husband is dealing w/  Connor rejectng his Alma mater, Middlebury..also a coveted decal!)  but...LIVING WITH THE KID,  HIS ENTHUSIASM AND CONFIDENCE IS CONTAGIOUS.  Everyone who loves him agrees he will thrive in this atmosphere.

First, you 'did good'. Our son hadn't a clue where he really wanted to go. So he relied on 'the mum' and on the basis of his test scores, his high school college counselor. He was accepted early admission at that year's top school, went there...for one year. He hated it! He was a kid from a West Coast city trying to blend in with East Coast surburban kids. He related a very telling story: he was sitting in his physics class and looked down at the floor where he counted 23 pairs of Sperry Topsiders and 1 pair of yellow All Star hightops. He knew then and there that he was in the wrong place. He finished the year, next fall entered a major metropolitan university, and never looked back. In the end, kids know who they are. :(

This was very quickly heading for an annoyance - electricity company sent me a huge bill, for the wrong meter in my house (divided into 3 apartments). however, their screw up was so obvious and blatant it took no time to correct and they gave me a month of free electricity.