i hope ya'll aren't driving in taxco. those roads are nasty.

where else are you going rancho? will you be in cuernevaca?

We'll be in DF for a few days and I fear it's already too jam-packed. What must I not miss?

I'm meeting Jaymes, memesuze and our mutual pal Tall Sue for a carefree frolic in Taxco. Then we're hooking up with Nuestra Senora de No More MF BS, Scorched Anita, in DF. I'm taking less than a week so I don't miss any farmers markets in SF. And jus tin case you thought i was sane, it's up tomorrow at 4:40 am, do the SF market, meet with a writer who's doing a bean piece, drive to a Ramada at the airport, park my car and then taxi to SFO for a redeye that arrives at 6am in Mexico City. Enjoy myself, then Friday I get back, spend the night at the Ramada, then get up and go back to San Francisco for the next Saturday market and then drive home, finally to Napa.

What means "New Spain?"

Mexico!

• Replies 23.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As someone recently pointed out, I am very much a "glass half empty" kind of guy.   That being said, occasionally there is a beam of joy in the misery that is my life.   Today,it was coming home a

It is a perfect day in Paris too. Had a lovely walk around the 9th this morning, and will soon be going to meet a friend for lunch, it will be nice to eat outside.

Because of some holiday, the subway is very empty today.

Posted Images

Off to New Spain tomorrow...

Honestly, RG. Don't be so Seventeenth Century.

Nuestra Senora de No More MF BS, Scorched Anita...

:lol:

Our Lady of the No More MF BS, Scorched Anita. That's Hilarious.

And silver. Don't forget about silver. Taxco is famous for silver. We're not all going home with just beans, you know.

You bet your sweet bippy! I have zero interest in silver but last year when we were in Michoacan together (with Cristina and memesuze), all we heard about were these famous hermanos who were Taxco silversmiths and they were so famous that no one ever heard of them! So the streets better be paved by these fellows! We also spent a good amount of time hunting down a Mexican cold cream that i would also poke fun at but once I tried it, I had to admit it did in fact make my skin feel younger and more alive, visibly removing the signs of age!

We'll be in DF for a few days and I fear it's already too jam-packed. What must I not miss?

DF is the greatest city in the world, and the worst city in the world (you'll understand this).

-you have to see the anthropology museum, and chapultepec park in general. the siqueros murals in that house on top of the hill in chapultec (name escapes me) are outstanding.

-go to la opera for lunch (w/ cocktails :lol: ). last time i was there my wife ordered 'higados de pollo' and i ordered some roast chicken dish. when my wife asked what 'higados' were the waiter pointed to the back, we thought they were chicken thighs. when the big plate of chicken livers showed up i gladly switched dishes with her.

-ride the subway, there's amazing art and ruins in the stations.

-the tenochitlan ruins by the zocalo are also great, and check out the riveira murals in the national palace.

-i would go to a bullfight (not for everyone)

-if you have time coyacan is a nice trip, especially the trotsky house and diego and frieda's house (greatest kitchen ever)

there are great markets everywhere, but i don't recall the names of them. there are people from every state of mexico in df so there is also food from all over mexico in the markets.

have a great time, i envy you.

Our Lady of the No More MF BS, Scorched Anita. That's Hilarious.

LOL. She can add that to her list of titles. Years ago, she performed the Miracle at the Arboretum, making cheese, fruit, and a myriad of other delicious comestibles appear to feed a more-than-slightly-stoned gathering of the faithful. Since then, she has been known by many as Our Lady of Cheesy Goodness.

c

You bet your sweet bippy! I have zero interest in silver but last year when we were in Michoacan together (with Cristina and memesuze), all we heard about were these famous hermanos who were Taxco silversmiths and they were so famous that no one ever heard of them!

What's Spanish for ''Los Castillos are too famous you silly nincompoop look here'?

DF is the greatest city in the world, and the worst city in the world (you'll understand this).

I've been a few times and agree with everything you say! But should I squeeze in Cuernavaca? I've never been.

-you have to see the anthropology museum, and chapultepec park in general. the siqueros murals in that house on top of the hill in chapultec (name escapes me) are outstanding.

-go to la opera for lunch (w/ cocktails :lol: ). last time i was there my wife ordered 'higados de pollo' and i ordered some roast chicken dish. when my wife asked what 'higados' were the waiter pointed to the back, we thought they were chicken thighs. when the big plate of chicken livers showed up i gladly switched dishes with her.

-ride the subway, there's amazing art and ruins in the stations.

-the tenochitlan ruins by the zocalo are also great, and check out the riveira murals in the national palace.

-i would go to a bullfight (not for everyone)

-if you have time coyacan is a nice trip, especially the trotsky house and diego and frieda's house (greatest kitchen ever)

there are great markets everywhere, but i don't recall the names of them. there are people from every state of mexico in df so there is also food from all over mexico in the markets.

have a great time, i envy you.

Several of us have already done much of that, so we're going to try to work in some 'old stuff' with some new stuff. Going to Patricia Quintana's restaurant, Izote. And the Palacio de Bellas Artes for the folklorico. I'd like to go to Frieda's house. Maybe we'll split up for a day.

Any other thoughts?

Any particular recommendations for Taxco? None of us have ever been there, I don't think.

I've been a few times and agree with everything you say! But should I squeeze in Cuernavaca? I've never been.

there's a great restaurant/resort in cuernavaca called las mananitas. they have this huge lawn with tropical birds walking around. you sit on a terrace and order cocktails. they bring you the cocktails (best margarita ever) along with homemade potato chips and some other snacks. the waiter comes over with a big chalkboard with that nights menu. you order, and after your cocktails are done they sit you in the outdoor dining area. it's a great experience. las mananitas website

there's also a great art museum in cuernavaca. it's the house of a guy who used to be the curator at the chicago institute of art. robert brady foundation. he collected art from all over the world, but there's lots of great mexican stuff too.

other than these two things, i wasn't that impressed w/ cuernavca. but since it's right on the way from df to taxco you might want to stop by for lunch and a visit to the museum.

Oh, I already have two of those! I had them engraved with my star sign and favorite brand of beer. Really swanky!

Very attractive. But where are the "rubbers"? Perhaps in some sort of secret compartment? Clever, and handy, I'm sure.

Guest Aaron T

The DC branch of my firm had a happy hour this afternoon in honor of Cinco de Mayo. There was beer and margaritas and chips and salsa and several pinatas filled with candy. It was a lot of fun and I can leave the office buzzed and happy! :lol: