• Replies 22.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As someone recently pointed out, I am very much a "glass half empty" kind of guy.   That being said, occasionally there is a beam of joy in the misery that is my life.   Today,it was coming home a

It is a perfect day in Paris too. Had a lovely walk around the 9th this morning, and will soon be going to meet a friend for lunch, it will be nice to eat outside.

Because of some holiday, the subway is very empty today.

Posted Images

Are they right in Londonderry?

Landgrove. About 3 miles from here.

I'm thinking it's high time me and TJ got us a chest freezer.

Why do you want to freeze your chest?

I'm told it helps with depilation.

the new dogpark we've discovered a few miles from here is huge, and features a large pond with "beach" for the dogs to get filthy in. lots of happy, friendly dogs there, and alu loves it. she's not a leader, but there's nothing she loves more than to chase other dogs who start running. and she's inching further into the water each time. too bad the weather is changing fast--otherwise i think she'd be a few weeks away from emulating some of her big lab buddies and leaping right in.

Lippy and I spent yesterday at a Hindu house-blessing ceremony. It was absolutely fascinating. The similarities to a Jewish celebration were the blowing of the conch shell, the (literally) buckets of food served to the scads of relatives and guests after the ceremony and--most of all--the wife giving a little talk about the year the family had had and the husband having nothing to say.

friends of mine did a griha-pravesh when they first bought their house in west hollywood. there were some problems with the neighbours who were alarmed when swastikas were painted on the front door. my mother was visiting at the time and was in attendance--she was amazed and impressed by the white, canadian hindu priest who conducted a bilingual ceremony in sanskrit and (translating into) english. she said it was the first time she'd ever understood everything that happened at a hindu ceremony. me, i didn't pay attention, being too busy drinking in the back.

I have been at several of these ceremonies - but they were Indian Jews. They call it "malida," which is a food and also the name of one of the prayers - in Hebrew, but an Indian melody. It's a real combination of Jewish and Indian tradition, which I find fascinating. They do them for new house, graduation, new job, big trip, etc. When I was living with my ex, we did one of these once, when his father was visiting - in honor of his father's first visit to the US.

edit:

"Malida Ceremony--- The Malida is a ceremonial offering which the Bene Israel** describe as a dish offered in the name of God, accompanied by an invocation for the presence and blessings of the Prophet Elijah. This ceremony is also known as the Eliyahu-ha-navi ceremony. The ceremony includes recitation of specific Hebrew verses. The pizmon-Eliyahu-ha-navi is first read followed by several different blessings quoted from the Bible, the first of which begins with the Hebrew words vayiten-lecha. The verse Hamalach Hagoel is read thrice and then the readings conclude with Psalm 121. A minyan is not required for this ceremony and a cantor may or may not be present to lead this ceremony. The Bene Israel offering usually consists of a mixture of so-called beaten rice, grated fresh coconuts, raisins, cardamom, sugar, and five different kinds of fresh fruits. All this is nicely arranged together on a large platter. Occasions for which the malida ceremony is always performed are: before the start of the preparation for a wedding; a house warming ceremony; in times of illness or of other difficulties or crisis; whenever there is reason to express deep gratitude; the evening following a circumcision; on the holiday of Tu be shvat."

** Bene Israel - that's what Indian Jews from Bombay are called. Means "Children (Sons) of Israel"

friends of mine did a griha-pravesh when they first bought their house in west hollywood. there were some problems with the neighbours who were alarmed when swastikas were painted on the front door. my mother was visiting at the time and was in attendance--she was amazed and impressed by the white, canadian hindu priest who conducted a bilingual ceremony in sanskrit and (translating into) english. she said it was the first time she'd ever understood everything that happened at a hindu ceremony. me, i didn't pay attention, being too busy drinking in the back.

Yes. There were about fifty women and children in the living room, but only five men. All the other men were in the backyard or the basement.