• Replies 22.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As someone recently pointed out, I am very much a "glass half empty" kind of guy.   That being said, occasionally there is a beam of joy in the misery that is my life.   Today,it was coming home a

It is a perfect day in Paris too. Had a lovely walk around the 9th this morning, and will soon be going to meet a friend for lunch, it will be nice to eat outside.

Because of some holiday, the subway is very empty today.

Posted Images

I received an e-mail from the organizer of the MoveOn bake sale I took part in on Saturday. She said her husband and son said my brownies were the best they'd ever eaten and asked me for the recipe. (Not as much of a compliment as one would think, since she told me she uses the Ghirardelli brownie mix sold at Costco, but I'll take any compliment I an get.)

So, what is the recipe? ;)

Lippy's Famous Brownies, (originally Marge Day's brownies, made by Terry Holbert and served at a reception in Newburgh, NY for the Victorian Society in America, in the early 1970s.)

Pre-heat oven to 350F.

Melt together 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate and 1/3 cup butter.

Remove from heat and stir in:

1/4 tsp. salt

1 cup sugar

2 unbeaten eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 cup sifted flour

1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional

Pour into an 8" x 8" greased and floured pan and bake for 23 minutes, until the top looks dry. The edges should not have shrunken away from the sides.

For a cookie pan, approx. 12" x 18" multiply all the quantities by 4. Bake for the same length of time.

I sometimes use brown sugar instead of white (not last Saturday.) Sometimes I use bittersweet chocolate and reduce the amount of sugar by 1/4 cup.

Okay, somebody answer if so inclined. Suppose you want to add some extra special ingredient. How much of said ingredient would you put in? Would you adjust the recipe in any other way in order to accomodate said ingredient?

Some special ingredients may be adversely affected by baking, it may be better to include such ingredients in melted chocolate and/or butter that is used for topping.

Warning is due that allergic or other reactions to unknown ingredients may take several hours to appear.

Suppose you want to add some extra special ingredient. How much of said ingredient would you put in?

Would you saute or otherwise precook the ingredient before adding it to the mixture? Any specific requirements of the ingredient itself - can it be in herbaceous form rather than resinous, for example?

So many questions, so little time.

Just checked a historic recipe that is often mis-cited as having a base of brownies (it's really fudge in the original.) That recipe actually calls for "a bunch," (herbaceous) and tells readers to look for it growing wild here and there. I suppose a teaspoon, crumbled, would be sufficient to spark up the recipe, added along with the salt.