• Replies 22.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As someone recently pointed out, I am very much a "glass half empty" kind of guy.   That being said, occasionally there is a beam of joy in the misery that is my life.   Today,it was coming home a

It is a perfect day in Paris too. Had a lovely walk around the 9th this morning, and will soon be going to meet a friend for lunch, it will be nice to eat outside.

Because of some holiday, the subway is very empty today.

Posted Images

Guest Aaron T

I inherited a flatscreen TV from my grandmother and my parents brought it up this weekend, and while I was at work on Friday, bought a TV stand for it. I set up my stereo, cd player and dvd player, which have all been in bubble wrap in my hall closet, and am enjoying having access to my music for the first time in a year.

I don't have a good reason for why I didn't do this sooner, but it sure is nice.

Lost my cell phone on Saturday night. I'm enjoying being off the grid. I think I might extend this indefinitely.

Just make sure to cancel your service, lest you pay for who-knows-whose-calls. :unsure:

I did. Just the thought of going into a phone store makes me want to hide. I think I'll take my time and buy online.

Don't know if this belong here or in the surrealism thread. It really belongs in a "gives you faith in humanity" thread.

My parents are looking to buy an apartment in Manhattan with an eye toward eventually retiring in NY. A few months ago they put a bid in on an apartment which was accepted by the sellers. My parents started the legal work, got the mortgage docs in order and even went so far as to start the escrow process. Almost 4 weeks after the bid was accepted the seller rescinded the offer. This is not illegal in New York state since no documents had yet been signed. My father sent a letter to the sellers and received a surprising response. Here are exerpts from the 2 letters.

Letter to sellers:

As you can imagine, my wife and I were disappointed upon being told that your agreement to sell your apartment was recinded.

Our attorney provided a bill for services, a copy of which is included. While I fully understand that you have no legal obligation to reimburse me for this cost, I ask you to consider doing so anyway, concluding, as I do, that it is the right thing to do. Were the situation reversed, I would reimburse you.

To provide encouragement, I will make a contribution (above and beyond my annual gift) of the amount of your reimbursement to a charity which provides meals for the elderly homebound in New York City, City Meals on Wheels.

Sellers' Response:

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to reimburse the legal costs you incurred during our proposed transaction. We regret the inconvenience caused to you, and can only hope that our decision spared all of us the disappointment of the transaction failing at the board review stage.

A cashier's check covering the legal invoice you sent is enclosed. We appreciate your lovely offer to donate the money to City Meals on Wheels, and it inspired us to make a donation of our own. The enclosed reimbursement is, of course, yours to donate or retain as you see fit.

We hope that you have already found a wonderful alternative apartment to call home in Manhattan, and wish you well in the future.

I'm taking it as a great lesson that a cool and measured response may be the best hope of achieving the desired outcome. Certainly it's the most pleasant way. And also that sometimes people surprise you.

Wow, Tamar, it sounds to me like your folks and the other couple are people of exceptional integrity in this day and age.

Don't know if this belong here or in the surrealism thread. It really belongs in a "gives you faith in humanity" thread.

My parents are looking to buy an apartment in Manhattan with an eye toward eventually retiring in NY. A few months ago they put a bid in on an apartment which was accepted by the sellers. My parents started the legal work, got the mortgage docs in order and even went so far as to start the escrow process. Almost 4 weeks after the bid was accepted the seller rescinded the offer. This is not illegal in New York state since no documents had yet been signed. My father sent a letter to the sellers and received a surprising response. Here are exerpts from the 2 letters.

Letter to sellers:

As you can imagine, my wife and I were disappointed upon being told that your agreement to sell your apartment was recinded.

Our attorney provided a bill for services, a copy of which is included. While I fully understand that you have no legal obligation to reimburse me for this cost, I ask you to consider doing so anyway, concluding, as I do, that it is the right thing to do. Were the situation reversed, I would reimburse you.

To provide encouragement, I will make a contribution (above and beyond my annual gift) of the amount of your reimbursement to a charity which provides meals for the elderly homebound in New York City, City Meals on Wheels.

Sellers' Response:

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to reimburse the legal costs you incurred during our proposed transaction. We regret the inconvenience caused to you, and can only hope that our decision spared all of us the disappointment of the transaction failing at the board review stage.

A cashier's check covering the legal invoice you sent is enclosed. We appreciate your lovely offer to donate the money to City Meals on Wheels, and it inspired us to make a donation of our own. The enclosed reimbursement is, of course, yours to donate or retain as you see fit.

We hope that you have already found a wonderful alternative apartment to call home in Manhattan, and wish you well in the future.

I'm taking it as a great lesson that a cool and measured response may be the best hope of achieving the desired outcome. Certainly it's the most pleasant way. And also that sometimes people surprise you.

Tamar, that is so inspiring. Thank you for posting it. And thanks to your parents, too.

Sellers' Response:

We... can only hope that our decision spared all of us the disappointment of the transaction failing at the board review stage.

Yes, a good story with, for a change, a nice ending. But I have to wonder what's implied by the sellers' comment above.