Micromanage my wine pairings?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Couldn't find a comparable thread, so here goes.   I'm resurrecting an old workhorse from the 60s to serve in the living room before dinner: (italian tuna/pickled veggie/tomato) antipasto. C

It's hard for me to see a red with a raw tomato. In the summer, maybe a rosé.

The so-so was the Beerenauslese - too much sweet upon sweet (baked Alaska). Would have gone with a Late Harvest Zin, preferably from Ridge where they constrain the sweetness.

I think Kracher is such a great producer that I'll drink anything they release with any dessert.

To note - I have never ordered a wine pairing and probably never will. I would rather choose a bad wine or two or three all on my own.

The problem is if you're having a tasting menu alone. (Which I know you never would do.) Then -- unless the place has a good half-bottles list -- you almost have to go with pairings.

To note - I have never ordered a wine pairing and probably never will. I would rather choose a bad wine or two or three all on my own.

The problem is if you're having a tasting menu alone. (Which I know you never would do.) Then -- unless the place has a good half-bottles list -- you almost have to go with pairings.

Another consideration is that all three of the places I've mentioned (EMP, Atera, Trois Mec) didn't present menus until after you were done with dinner so choosing a wine (if you're looking to match with food) is...challenging.

The so-so was the Beerenauslese - too much sweet upon sweet (baked Alaska). Would have gone with a Late Harvest Zin, preferably from Ridge where they constrain the sweetness.

I think Kracher is such a great producer that I'll drink anything they release with any dessert.

YES, and that's why I said so-so as opposed to no.

Very true - the red part was fine. I just think that version is too sweet to go with a very sweet Baked Alaska.

I've had Beerenauslese from Zweigelt (at Epcot in the German pavilion of all places) and it's very good, but very sweet. Never had the Kracher but agree with Sneak on their reputation.

Rich, my sentiments completely.

If I'm dining alone, I'll just order a terzo or merzo of an appropriate wine.

The problem is that if you're having a long 11 or 18 course tasting menu, there isn't "an" appropriate wine.

The other problem is that places that serve 11 or 18 course tasting menus usually don't offer terzos or mezzos (the bastards!).