Sign in to follow this  
joethefoodie

Kings Theater and Environs

I intentionally took the long way home from playing tennis in Marine Park the other day and drove Flatbush Ave the entire way from Ave R. to Atlantic. From around the King Theater toward Prospect Park, I counted several places that looked interesting and weren't just take out joints (or fronts for other things). My guess is that Nostrand Ave would be even more interesting. Thanks for this write up… I fully expect you to find us at least 6-10 other places to eat.

Bamboo Express

Bamboo Express is a Jamaican-Chinese storefront on Flatbush Ave. at either the bottom of Prospect-Lefferts Gardens or the top of Flatbush.

Jamaican-Chinese is A Thing. Jamaica has long had a significant Chinese community, as anyone knows who's either up on reggae history or has read or seen Dr. No.

Jamaican-Chinese seems -- on the evidence of this place, at least -- to be more a conscious fusion of Chinese with local cuisine than, say, Peruvian Chifas, where the Cantonese food is "different" from what we in the U.S. are used to mainly because local ingredients and predominant cooking techniques differ.

I had Jerk Pork Lo Mein and a white pudding.

The Lo Mein was exactly as you'd think. The white pudding seemed to be stuffed mainly with rice. I'm sure there were some nasty pig bits in there, but you couldn't taste them. It came with a better-than-decent mango pepper condiment.

This isn't one of those cheap ethnic places where the cooking is so good you can't believe it. I wouldn't go out of my way for it. But it was something new and different to me, which I was happy to try. Prices are gentle.

How was the show and what did you think of the theatre? I think it's gorgeous.

The restoration is gorgeous. Stunning. Beautiful.

I think I might prefer the design of the interior of City Center better as design. But as a work of restoration, with all the craftsmanship involved, this eclipses it. When you walk into the auditorium, it's almost breathtaking.

It'll take more time to see how the sound is. To the venue's credit, they started this show on time. Which meant that opener Nick Lowe, playing solo acoustic, came out to an almost empty hall. The auditorium is very big, and the echo was disturbing. But that appears to be because, at first, there weren't enough bodies absorbing the sound. As the hall filled, the sound got better. By the time headliners Yo La Tengo came on, it seemed fine.

On a side note, most of the concerts I go to are classical New Music concerts. So it amused me that at this rock show featuring a superannuated alt band and a hyperannuated pub/pop guy, the audience was much older than I'm used to from classical concerts. Things will no doubt swing back into equilibrium once the Carnegie Hall and New York Philharmonic seasons move into high gear.

BTW, YLT did share the stage with Lowe for the encore -- but nobody made the Lowe Ya Tengo joke.

I too was at Saturday's show. It is indeed a stunning space although I thought the carpet was kind of fugly. But very comfortable and everyone working there was so nice. I did not see Sneak but no surprise there----the place is vast. Drinks are expensive and we thought the service at the bars could have been snappier.

I too noticed the echo at first--we were way down front in the orchestra and I felt the sound was coming from behind me at various points. But Lowe sounded wonderful, was in very very good voice. And YLT put on a great show, including much of the quieter part of their repertoire and a couple of well chosen covers: Friday I'm in Love and Here Comes MY Baby (IMHO one of the greatest pop songs ever). Lowe came back out at the end and they wound up with Rollers Song.and Walk Away Renee. A very enjoyable evening even if it did take me about an hour and forty minutes door to door--and I am only 2 blocks from the subway--to get there. It is a long, long walk from the station to the theater. One member of the party, coming from the East Village, had allotted 2 hours travel time yet was late, seems someone was struck by a train at Union Square. The joys of travelling by subway on a weekend. We took a car service back to Manhattan.

It sounds like you need to get the new YLT covers album.

Ira Kaplan told the audience that one of the joint encores was selected by Nick Lowe and one by YLT. He challenged the audience to figure out which was which. I think he realizes that it's pretty obvious.

Can we split off some of that to a King's Theater thread? I get the feeling some of us will find ourselves there several times a year, and I could use some more neighborhood recommendations.

I'm going to that same concert at Kings Theater on Saturday, and I sure couldn't tell you which of the multitude of Caribbean places around there are the best.

Not exactly timely, but the current (?) issue of Edible Manhattan/Brooklyn has an article entitled:

A Caribbean Food Tour of Crown Heights

Crown Heights has long been a mecca for West Indian food, a treasure trove of interrelated cuisines that combine South Asian spices with New World ingredients in unexpected ways. At the unexceptional-looking takeout joints along Nostrand Avenue, the neighborhood’s largely unchanged commercial hub, you’ll find everything from long-stewed oxtail and goat to buttery fruit-studded pastries to some of the best vegan food anywhere. The spots highlighted here are a very small sampling meant to encourage the new residents of Crown Heights (and everyone, really!) to look outside Mayfield, Barboncino and Chavela’s for dinner. It’s one of the great casual-eating neighborhoods in the entire city, a trip to the islands without leaving home.

I'm going to that same concert at Kings Theater on Saturday, and I sure couldn't tell you which of the multitude of Caribbean places around there are the best.

Not exactly timely, but the current (?) issue of Edible Manhattan/Brooklyn has an article entitled:

Crown Heights has long been a mecca for West Indian food, a treasure trove of interrelated cuisines that combine South Asian spices with New World ingredients in unexpected ways. At the unexceptional-looking takeout joints along Nostrand Avenue, the neighborhood’s largely unchanged commercial hub, you’ll find everything from long-stewed oxtail and goat to buttery fruit-studded pastries to some of the best vegan food anywhere. The spots highlighted here are a very small sampling meant to encourage the new residents of Crown Heights (and everyone, really!) to look outside Mayfield, Barboncino and Chavela’s for dinner. It’s one of the great casual-eating neighborhoods in the entire city, a trip to the islands without leaving home.

Nice, but you do know that its a reprint from an article that's now a year old right? At any rate, I pasted a link to it on CH in the Kings Theater "thread" (or whatever they're calling it) & we'll see if anyone has anything to say. By & large, CH is currently a ghost-town on locations that used to be very busy & aren't those on the W.Coast where folks split as a group & formed the 2 other boards. I'm talking Outer Boroughs NYC, France (especially Paris) & Italy for example.

Different neighborhood. NOT around the Kings Theater.

Different neighborhood. NOT around the Kings Theater.

Yes, but...

But a very useful addition to the dataset. Thanks.

Oh, yeah, of course. I just wanted to specify that because it's probably going to get moved into a new "Kings Theater" thread, and people who aren't from Brooklyn wouldn't know it's not in the neighborhood.