Affordable Sushi

can't remember where the friend i started this thread to help went for sushi but in august we ate lunch at the ues location of sushi of gari. my review is here. subtracting the boys' meal (which frighteningly also involved sushi) the two of us were at about $95 all-in for 9 and 10 pieces of nigiri respectively. so price-wise sushi of gari can still be done <$100--though this was a la carte and not omakase. quality-wise, however, i'm not sure it's a good deal. much better than anything in the twin cities, yes, but variety was limited and none of the fish i ate made me want to eat another piece right away. and things like the tomao piled onto the salmon were not really to our taste. for the price you can do much better at lunch in los angeles.

speaking of which, in my review i mention their los angeles branch--it has apparently closed. i've no idea what the group's reputation is like now in new york.

sushi-of-gari-salmon-tomato.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh, I'm sorry. I misread that on my phone as being an abbreviation of Brushstroke, not Blue Ribbon.   Never mind.

Years ago, but I remember doing reasonable lunches there.

It was rare I did an omakase there. Once out of curiosity and another time because the friend I was with wanted to do it - though we had sashimi that time, which sans rice basically made for a very ex

Kazu Nori is fine. I find the atmosphere a little gloomy and sedate, but the hand rolls are decent and fairly priced, and their nori is generally pretty crisp.

ETA: Nami Nori looks like a nice departure from the $50 cheap omakase trend that Sushi On Jones started (which has been replicated elsewhere).

Between the $50 cheap omakases and the $200+ hedge fund bromakases - with the caveat that it’s been a few years since I’ve had it and I’m not generally an omakase guy to begin with - I enjoyed the $95 “Toshi’s Choice” (still, even though Toshi died a year ago) at Blue Ribbon Sushi Izakaya.

Between the $50 cheap omakases and the $200+ hedge fund bromakases - with the caveat that it’s been a few years since I’ve had it and I’m not generally an omakase guy to begin with - I enjoyed the $95 “Toshi’s Choice” (still, even though Toshi died a year ago) at Blue Ribbon Sushi Izakaya.

Yes - it might have been even more than a year ago that Toshi died. The first person who moved up the line was really good, and even the second head sushi guy after that guy (who may have gone over to the flagship) was good.  And it was our regular sushi spot until a couple of visits where the rice was so poorly cooked that it made the sushi not good.

I guess we'll give it another try.

Yes - it might have been even more than a year ago that Toshi died. The first person who moved up the line was really good, and even the second head sushi guy after that guy (who may have gone over to the flagship) was good.  And it was our regular sushi spot until a couple of visits where the rice was so poorly cooked that it made the sushi not good.

I guess we'll give it another try.

It was rare I did an omakase there. Once out of curiosity and another time because the friend I was with wanted to do it - though we had sashimi that time, which sans rice basically made for a very expensive luxury appetizer course. Though we followed it with the fried chicken, which was plenty enough, so overall not an unreasonably expensive meal.

I'm more likely to get a sashimi assortment and a bunch of small kitchen dishes (which are still very good) when I'm there. Usually the only time I have rice of any kind there is if we get one of the fried rices. 

• Like 1

Bromakase is my new favorite word for 2019.

As I typed "hedge fund bro omakase" and saw the portmanteau staring back I thought "How could I be the first person to think of this?" - then of course I googled it and turns out I wasn't nearly as clever as I briefly imagined myself.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

For the first time in almost exactly a year, I had dinner inside a restaurant in Manhattan: Blue Ribbon Sushi Izakaya. Our party of three had about an acre of real estate to call our own - if you're familiar with the dining room, they sat us, and us alone, at one of the very long tables perpendicular to the sushi bar. There were only four other parties spread out across the room, and the closest person to me was about 15 feet away. The outdoor patio was both more crowded and colder.

I think the prices have come down since I was there last. My sashimi entree was $34, and I got a generous piece of Hokkaido uni sushi for $12, which is practically wholesale. The sashimi was not too thrilling, but it was good, and it was pretty nice to be out and drinking a martini made by not me.

• 10 months later...

Staying on the Blue Ribbon theme, (Sushi Bar and Grill) we went to their new outpost in the Financial District last night.  It is on the corner of Maiden and William and I forgot what was there before. Other than not having many of the sakes on the list, you'd never know it was the 4th day they were open. Service was downright warm and excellent. Dishes were paced perfectly.  The sushi was excellent with the standouts being the uni mentioned by @small h and a special of ocean perch. My daughter recently moved to just a few blocks away so she'll either have to get a slice or two at Joe's to fill up before dining here or get a second job. 

On 2/11/2022 at 9:01 AM, mitchells said:

Staying on the Blue Ribbon theme, (Sushi Bar and Grill) we went to their new outpost in the Financial District last night.  It is on the corner of Maiden and William and I forgot what was there before.

Wasn’t it another BR before? Blue Ribbon Federal Grill, I think?

• 4 months later...