Pork: A Berkshire strip-chop from D'Artagnan

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

12 oz chop from the short loin, 4 chops for $37 from D'Artagnan     http://www.dartagnan.com/berkshire-pork-ny-strip-chop-bone-in/product/PORBER027-1.html?cgid=pork&dwvar_PORBER027-1_freshFroz

Definitely need a good fan for that. And, perhaps a slotted base on which to put the chicken, so the fat drains down and out of direct heat.

We no longer marinate but usually brine a chop of questionable internal fat.

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2020 at 10:37 AM, voyager said:

When it comes, bone it out into two packages, strip and fillet/tail.  Or even smaller.   Ooops...ours come fresh since it’s overnight delivery.  Are yours shipped frozen?

This is two-day delivery.  While it isn't frozen solid, it comes pretty well iced.  I couldn't butcher it.

The good news, though, is that I looked at it and all I could think was, "I can finish this."  I didn't even bother to make room for it in the freezer.  We'll see in a few days (after I've worked up an appetite).

• Like 1

(Funnily, on the Flannery's website, when they do their inconclusive-but-leaning-toward-boneless boneless v. bone-in discussion, they note as a sort of throwaway factor that bone-in has a cap.  Ummmm, for some of us [but not Voyager's husband], that's enough by itself!)

On 1/6/2021 at 9:59 PM, Evelyn said:

Get a bone saw 💀. I have no problem breaking down partially frozen pork racks using mine.

I was watching the butcher saw away at a lamb neck I bought today and I couldn't stop myself from telling her how jealous I was that was her job.

Pan seared then roasted D’Artagnan Heritage double rib chop. I can’t say enough about these. Talk about a tasty cap. Plenty for two people. I admittedly cooked it a minute or two too long but still tender and juicy. Served with a king trumpet mushroom pan sauce and sautéed spinach. 

On 1/8/2021 at 11:44 PM, Sneakeater said:

I was watching the butcher saw away at a lamb neck I bought today and I couldn't stop myself from telling her how jealous I was that was her job.

Well, you say that. But if you were to actually do it, you'd probably want to die after about 3 days.