Coffee bean grinders

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good burr coffee grinder, one that doesn't spit grounds all over the counter, that is easy to retrieve grounds from? I'm still using a several decade old Krup

Thirding. It's what I use at the office for pourovers.   I'll tell you what I absolutely love though- my zojirushi water boiler.

It teaches you what it must have felt like to be an employee at early Ssam Bar.

• @Anthony Bonner: Wendelboe isn't cheaper; the bags are 250 g, not 12 oz.

If you're looking for a good coffee subscription, I think Collected Coffee is great. It's a Honduran CoE coffee roasted by Colonna this month. (Comp disclosure: I got a free bag of coffee or two from them a few months ago and I'm friends with one of the people behind Collected)

The Sette with the stock burrs is supposedly better optimized for espresso than for filter (sorta like the Vario); supposedly at some point they're releasing another set of burrs that's better for filter. The other person behind Collected suggested that the Sette wasn't going to be much of an upgrade over the Virtuoso for doing drip at home, and recommended the OE Pharos instead (which is apparently not as huge a pain as the travel hand grinders)

@mitchells: Which grinder, what coffee, and what brew method?

We got the Baratza Encore when Peet's was having their big pre-Christmas sales and we thought we'd be making big batches of coffee for our parties. It's an entry-level electric grinder, but it works really well for our needs--I've been using it in tandem with the Chemex. The Hario manual grinder is still good for small amounts.

• The Sette with the stock burrs is supposedly better optimized for espresso than for filter (sorta like the Vario); supposedly at some point they're releasing another set of burrs that's better for filter. The other person behind Collected suggested that the Sette wasn't going to be much of an upgrade over the Virtuoso for doing drip at home, and recommended the OE Pharos instead (which is apparently not as huge a pain as the travel hand grinders)

From what I can tell on the interwebs, the new burr sets will be switchable into existing units. Does that seem right to you?

• The Sette with the stock burrs is supposedly better optimized for espresso than for filter (sorta like the Vario); supposedly at some point they're releasing another set of burrs that's better for filter. The other person behind Collected suggested that the Sette wasn't going to be much of an upgrade over the Virtuoso for doing drip at home, and recommended the OE Pharos instead (which is apparently not as huge a pain as the travel hand grinders)

From what I can tell on the interwebs, the new burr sets will be switchable into existing units. Does that seem right to you?

Should work just fine.

Tell us about the rest of your coffee system!

Seems right that the burrs should swap fine. This is what Baratza's FAQ says about the burrs:

The Sette 270 is getting out into the hands of many more users and we continue to receive feedback about their experiences with this innovative new grinder. One area of feedback is the grind range.

Overall, there is strong agreement that the Sette is incredible for espresso. However, we have gotten conflicting reviews from people about the Sette for filter grind. Some coffee professionals love it, others not so much. The Sette is currently built and will be released with the ability to adjust from espresso fine to Chemex coarse. It is suitable for the ESPRO press, but may not grind coarse enough for a more traditional French Press. The calibration can be adjusted, but the burrs in the Sette don’t produce a good consistent coarse grind even when the burrs are farther apart. We are currently experimenting with alternative cone burrs, focusing on the burr geometry (specifically the shape, angle and number of cuts) to improve the accuracy and range of the coarse grind, that may be offered at a later date.

I don't make French press at all, but it didn't seem like it was clearly an upgrade with the current burrs for filter coffee. There are complaints out there about the Sette for filter, compared to the glowing reviews it gets for espresso.

That said, I still may well not upgrade even after new burrs come out, but I'll wait for reviews at least.

Thanks. I'd already seen that -- and in fact it's what raised the question for me, because it doesn't explicitly say that the new burr sets will be swapable by end users.

Everything I've read about the way Baratza usually operates, however, suggests they would be. (Added to the fact that the current burr grinder is removable for cleaning.)