Coffee bean grinders

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good burr coffee grinder, one that doesn't spit grounds all over the counter, that is easy to retrieve grounds from? I'm still using a several decade old Krup

Thirding. It's what I use at the office for pourovers.   I'll tell you what I absolutely love though- my zojirushi water boiler.

It teaches you what it must have felt like to be an employee at early Ssam Bar.

Here's what Baratza emailed me about swapping in the possible new coarse burrs on the Sette 270 line:

Swapping cone burrs in the Sette series is very simple, and so the installation of a separate coarse burr would be easy for home users. This video covers removing, replacing, and shimming the cone burr. As you can see, it is quite simple. The coarse burrs will be available for purchase along with the holder and shims for even easier swap-out, negating the need for unthreading the through-bolt.

You know, I was always self-conscious about my strong preference for filtered coffee over espresso -- until I had the following conversation with the extremely cool and helpful barista (she gave me the addresses of all the places where I could meet people) at Tim Wendelboe's this summer:

ME: All my friends in New York think it's embarrassing that I prefer filter to espresso.

BARISTA: No, no. We're all about filter here.

No wonder I want to move to Scandinavia (if only I could afford it).

(Not that anyone cares, but I think it was only a few years ago in Stockholm -- a city that was coffee-crazed long before the current trend -- that I even got the point of light roasts. It's interesting that in those Northern climes they go more for vibrancy and sharpness in their coffee than for the round richness I'd been conditioned to want.)

Wait what? Good single origin beans are almost never roasted for espresso though. Like you're just almost never going to see an espresso with gesha or CoE beans or whatever outside of some barista competition or something. Baristas talk about espressos a lot because cafes do mostly espresso drinks (and pourovers take so long to make that I feel bad ordering one at busy coffee shops), but in practice the serious stuff with good beans just is not espresso.

BTW do you think it's weird that you have an 8 or 12 oz bag of coffee and you end up drinking the same single origin coffee for a week or two, but you end up with a new bottle of wine every night or two? This is increasingly striking me as weird.

I have to note, the thing about wine is that I view it primarily as a condiment: something to compliment the food I drink it with. So of course I want something different each night, as I don't eat the same food each night (at least I try not to).

But coffee is something I drink by itself. So, if I like it, it doesn't bother me to repeat over a couple of weeks.

A shot of espresso takes like 30 seconds to pull. Add some time for latte art, whatever.

Depending on technique a pourover is going to take at least 3 minutes and sometimes more like 4+ of brew time. Sometimes it's possible to make more than one at the same time, but that's not always the case.

The pourover doesn't even use that much more coffee, it's just probably going to be nicer coffee (since it comes through better in the pourover) and it's going to take a lot more of the barista's time. As a rule I won't order a pourover if the baristas look like they're busy.