Sign in to follow this  
Suzanne F

Winter 2015-2016

From the sound of it hitting my air conditioner, it could almost have been hail. Not quite as irregularly pounding, though. And the street looked wet. So you weren't far off.

It got down below freezing a couple of nights in Napa. We also had a couple of freeze warnings here in SJ last week and had to bring the plants in (again)

Thank goodness, by Saturday it will be back up to normal, which is high 50s/low 60s during the day and low 40s at night.

No signs of freezing here. This is the warmest Dec 31 since when?

eta: Looks like we see 30s on Monday/Tuesday.

There were, very very briefly, tiny snow flurries in the higher elevations of Inwood Hill Park this afternoon.

Temps in the low -20Cs today, with windchills in the low -30Cs. Cold, but I suppose I should be thankful we've had a relatively mild winter until now. These temperatures will only last a week or so, and then it will warm up a bit (forecasted temps in the high -20s or low -10Cs).

The forecast for today is lots of rain, lots of wind, temps going up close to 60F (it's 55F at the moment!), then going down to 30F overnight. I can't keep up; just staying in and working.

Two headlines, both posted four hours ago:

Quiet weekend weather for Central New York as blizzard stays well south

Blizzard-like Conditions Possible in NYC as Snowstorm Path Takes Shape

So, there you are.

This is just a guess but when they say "central New York" I think they're referring to places like Albany and Binghamton.

The latest forecast I saw says 3 to 5 inches here. That's not too bad if that amount holds up.

Trees are bending on this street? How are you spending the blizzard?

By chance I was already planning a cassoulet, and the results will see me through the weekend. I have a book of 20th century French history and the recent complete Sappho translations. Also seems a good couple of days to finally clear tons of old files off the computer.

My daughter is excited to go out. Good luck to her.

Totally surprised (and impressed) that the Times was delivered this morning.

• Like 1

The latest forecast I saw says 3 to 5 inches here. That's not too bad if that amount holds up.

Good luck with that. I'm looking at a radar map and the multi-state wide patch of snow is just sitting over NYC. I'm hearing forecasts of up to 20 inches.

We've got a lot of food stored in the freezer after plenty of holiday cooking so this looks like a good time to use it. We'll venture out for martinis at around 5 or 6.

Thank God NBC is broadcasting English Premier League Soccer for 4 hours this afternoon instead of those boring NFL playoff games.