Sign in to follow this  
joiei

Simon eats fish and chips

This asserts that fish and chips was introduced to Britain by JEWS.

Eggplant to Italy aside, I find it hard to believe that my people had a positive culinary impact anywhere.

But England . . . .

When I read the post (prior to reading the article), my first thought was, "I would have guessed from the Portuguese, just like in Japan."

Then I read the article, and fish and chips was brought to England by Portuguese Jews.

Portuguese must really love their fried food. (who knew?)

The Jewish origin is plausible, given the enthusiasm for the food in neighborhoods like Whitechapel in the nineteenth century which is well attested.

But if the origin lies with Jews expelled from Portugal in the 15th century, there should be earlier references than that. I haven’t seen them, but honestly haven’t looked. (And haven’t listened to the podcast.)

Right, I can believe there were Jews from Portugal who ate fried fish on Fridays (and escabeche fish on Saturday because no cooking and no fridge, and hopefully other things on other days) but to then link that to a completely different group hundreds of year later (Ashkenazi Jews likely with experience running simple food shops in the shtetl) seems like a stretch. Of course all you need to do is get Wiki to quote you so that you can then quote wiki and then it's true. 

i believe an ex-mouthfuls member (at least long dormant) bills herself as a "food historian". as far as i can make out the only credential is "like to think of myself as a food historian".

If the Earl of Sandwich invented the sandwich, then who invented the pita? The Prince of Pita???