Sign in to follow this  
hollywood

NFL 2016

Kelly's problem in Philly seemed to be that he took over one team, but wanted to field another. I would think a head coach coming in wants to build a team around the existing players -- at least the core. Kelly jettisoned all of Philly's best players and brought in a mediocre quarterback. (although Bradford did well). And a top running back -- who Kelly used sparingly.

I wonder if Kelly got Lurie's pre-approval before he gut the team? But if you'e going to come in and say, "I'm a genius, just watch my magic," you better make the lady disappear.

The problem in San Francisco is that the ownership is dysfunctional. They ran Harbaugh, a first rate coach, out of town. Strike one.

Then they replaced him with Tomsula and fired him after a single year. Strike two.

I can imagine how Kelly's interview went. "Don't worry Chip. If the team goes through a bad patch we've got your back."

The problem in San Francisco is that the ownership is dysfunctional. They ran Harbaugh, a first rate coach, out of town. Strike one.

Then they replaced him with Tomsula and fired him after a single year. Strike two.

I can imagine how Kelly's interview went. "Don't worry Chip. If the team goes through a bad patch we've got your back."

Let's not forget the general manager, either.

I miss the Eddie D/Carmen Policy days.

Right. Plenty of blame to go around. He was shopping Harbaugh right after he took the team to the NFC conference game. Idiot.

So Harbaugh appears to be a prima donna. Big deal. He wins.

Kelly showed some promise in Philadelphia with 2 ten win seasons. I'm not sure what happened last year - whether the problem was that NFL defenses figured out how to stop his offense or whether the players just didn't execute. I do know that with that ownership and front office in SF behind him if I was him I wouldn't go buying a house in the Bay Area.

Last night I watched the Four Falls of Buffalo on Netflix. It's one of those 30 for 30 films made by ESPN. This one is about those outstanding Buffalo Bills teams from the 1990s. They made 4 straight Superbowls and lost them all. But what great teams. Jim Kelly. Thurman Thomas. Andre Reed. Bruce Smith. There were a total of 7 Hall of Famers on those teams.

They're all interviewed extensively in the film and show all the emotions you'd expect. Pride and regret in equal measures. And gratitude to the city of Buffalo which embraced them through it all.

You should watch this movie.

I do know that with that ownership and front office in SF behind him if I was him I wouldn't go buying a house in the Bay Area.

Maybe a house is included in the deal!

Last night I watched the Four Falls of Buffalo on Netflix. It's one of those 30 for 30 films made by ESPN. This one is about those outstanding Buffalo Bills teams from the 1990s. They made 4 straight Superbowls and lost them all. But what great teams. Jim Kelly. Thurman Thomas. Andre Reed. Bruce Smith. There were a total of 7 Hall of Famers on those teams.

They're all interviewed extensively in the film and show all the emotions you'd expect. Pride and regret in equal measures. And gratitude to the city of Buffalo which embraced them through it all.

You should watch this movie.

I remember that era well.

I was wondering how the city treated Scott Norwood after he missed that field goal. It was really remarkable. The day after the Bills got back to Buffalo there was a huge rally outside city hall. The team was on a balcony waving to the crowd. At one point the crowd began to call out Norwood's name and when he came forward they gave him a huge ovation. You can see Marv Levy in the background tearing up. Quite a moment.