Sign in to follow this  
LiquidNY

Brooklyn Bread Lab

This is a bakery owned by the still-under-construction Williamsburg Hotel. The chef is Adam Leonti, previously the chef de cuisine at Vetri and soon to be the chef at the upcoming Italian restaurant in the Williamsburg Hotel (which will probably open around April or May). The location is on Moore Street in Bushwick. When you get off the L and walk past Roberta's, keep walking another block. It's inside one of those garages, across the street from the Wonton factory.

It's a two man operation. Just Leonti and his sous chef baking breads and snacks, using boutique flours that they mill themselves and rotate every few weeks. You can eat inside. There are a couple high tables, but not really anywhere to sit. (There's one stool.) The plan for this place is that Adam gets to experiment with this bakery while the hotel is under construction. He'll then move over to the restaurant and this bakery will supply the bread for the hotel, but still remain open to the public.

They don't have a huge selection of stuff, but what they have is good. A loaf made of the flour du jour, a grilled cheese sandwich, taleggio lasagna, a terrific hazelnut tart, anchovy pizza. I got to try a little of everything. It's all good, as one would expect from a chef of his pedigree. If you're in the neighborhood it's worth a visit.

So nothing special worth a visit from Manhattan if I read you correctly?

Yeah. It's a tiny little bakery.

I made it here today, after a first stop at Acme to load up on various smoked fish at insanely low prices.

I got a beautiful, large loaf made of whatever flour they're currently milling...it's delicious, with a great crust and a tender crumb. I also got the last of the pretzels they made out of durum wheat flour, and a few biscotti. Good stuff.

They have a gorgeous 2 group Faema E-61 machine...sadly, it wasn't fired up and I think they only use it for certain events or classes.

Speaking of pretzels, they're right across the street from this place...

28249569651_0a84bc8ce1.jpg

Which has an output (I was told) of 10,000 pretzels an hour, and is one of the last of the major pretzel manufacturers, supplying

to everyone from street carts to stadiums to county fairs.

New York Pretzel

Sounds like the neighborhood might be worth a high gluten day trip...

There's an increasing market for specialty wheat varieties, that's great for small farm operations

So nothing special worth a visit from Manhattan if I read you correctly?

Yeah. It's a tiny little bakery.

Actually i've found that this a perfect bike ride from Manhattan and fully justifies the trip - every weekend. The loaves and baguettes are quite excellent, and they last nearly a week in my breadbox. I've had some first-rate savory items (like a taleggio pizza) and yesterday's lemon glazed donuts were delicious. Apparently this is all sort of preparatory to opening a restaurant in a few months in the new Williamsburg hotel, and I'm looking forward to it.

I agree, davy - though I'll eschew the bicycle. Maybe they make more stuff on Saturday and Sunday, because on Friday there was no pizza, which was really why I had made the trip. But the bread I brought home is fantastic, the pretzels were good, and the biscotti were fine.

The other nearby place I tried and liked is L'Imprimerie.