Sign in to follow this  
joethefoodie

Wu's Wonton King (nee Wing Shoon)

I would like to mount a brief defense of the pig.

Its skin was crisp and not at all chewy -- and lacked even a speck of a hint of grease.

The meat was moist.

Sure, there wasn't an intense porky flavor. But this is America. There's never an intense porky flavor.

Now maybe I'd have preferred it to be served warm. But I grew up on cold cuts: no harm no foul.

It helped if you dipped it in hoisin sauce.

(I knew there was a reason I was eating much more of it than anyone else.)

I would like to mount a brief defense of the pig.

Its skin was crisp and not at all chewy -- and lacked even a speck of a hint of grease.

The meat was moist.

Sure, there wasn't an intense porky flavor. But this is America. There's never an intense porky flavor.

Now maybe I'd have preferred it to be served warm. But I grew up on cold cuts: no harm no foul.

It helped if you dipped it in hoisin sauce.

(I knew there was a reason I was eating much more of it than anyone else.)

You tied with Steve, actually.

The whole warm/cold thing always seems to rear its head with Cantonese roasted poultry and meats. The same thing takes place at NY Noodletown...hot rice, cold "cuts," though sometimes I think NY Noodletown takes the roasted "cut" and throws it into a microwave for a minute or two, if they suspect you'd like the stuff hot.

And I'll add you're absolutely right about the pig's crisp skin. I just don't know that I love the cold layer of fat underneath. And now that it has be re-mentioned, I'm mad we didn't get the head and will talk to them about it next time I'm in, since they seem to sell them in the front window every now and then - for $2!!!

We're talking room temp rather than cold, aren't we? Or do they actually chill roast pork and poultry? Just-out-of-the-fridge roast pork sounds dreadful, as in congealed fat.

There was a big political flap here, maybe in your time, "Joe", where they tried to enact a "keep hot foot hot, cold food cold" law. My response was how many people have you ever heard of getting sick from Chinese roast duck and pork that sits out all day?

Since I actually ate at this place, it's difficult to write about.

The food was excellent, especially the fish and the chicken. The steamed Striped Bass was my favorite.

The pig presentation was dramatic, but it just lacked a flavor punch. Maybe being cold had something to do with it. Guess that puts me in the Joe and Orik camp about the pig.

Would go back in a minute, but would avoid the whole pig thingy - so many other things to try.

I can write about this meal because I can barely remember it. Wine and company were pretty decent. :P Also the fried shrimp heads were spectacular and a lot of the seafood was excellent which is where I think this cuisine is best anyway. I still don't think this compares to California Cantonese, but it certainly makes for a fun evening.

Try getting to California by subway, though.

Lets be honest, if I could take Delta uptown and get the points for it, I would.

Indeed, room temp.

Well, it's kept much closer to the window than most of the dining room, so in February it was pretty cold. I assume by August it'll be pleasantly warm :D

There was a big political flap here, maybe in your time, "Joe", where they tried to enact a "keep hot foot hot, cold food cold" law. My response was how many people have you ever heard of getting sick from Chinese roast duck and pork that sits out all day?

Over 90% of foodborne illness would have been prevented if everything got nuked for 30 seconds before being served, and that is medical fact. Also airline food would suddenly be more competitive with restaurant food.

Indeed, room temp.

Well, it's kept much closer to the window than most of the dining room, so in February it was pretty cold. I assume by August it'll be pleasantly warm :D

Over 90% of foodborne illness would have been prevented if everything got nuked for 30 seconds before being served, and that is medical fact. Also airline food would suddenly be more competitive with restaurant food.

I'm probably more interested in whatever the hell is on that chopping block (and the "gloves") the roast meat chopper chops on and wears, but yeah, I guess using the microwave could be prudent in certain situations.

I'm pretty sure Wu's has been cited/closed and had to do something about the temperature of the stuff in the window. Whether that's still being adhered to, or whether that even matters. are 2 whole other stories.

Agree with both O and "J". More important to me than constant food temp is the general impression of cleanliness in a shop. Windows not spattered, counters clean, hand washing facilities evident and being used, separate chopping blocks for various foods, clean aprons or smocks, etc. IOW, is there a general impression of understanding of and adherence to proper hygiene practice.

But, yes, a fast nuke, or including your purchase in a heated food is common sense.

(Or maybe just stick to dim sum, always kept steaming hot. ;))

GIve me a call when you move back to the real world.

Hey, I spend a lot more time than you on the superior side of the wall...