Sign in to follow this  
joethefoodie

Wu's Wonton King (nee Wing Shoon)

Terrific place. One of the best meals I've had in a while.

Excellent: Fried grouper, fried shrimp, "stir fried rice noodles,"* Chinese broccoli in garlic sauce, three-flavor dumplings in bone soup.

Pretty good: Peking duck buns. (I find Peking duck to be overrated.)

Not my cup of tea: Beef stew in special broth. Kind of like flanken, with star anise in the broth. Meh.

Why would anyone order this?: Steamed chicken. A chicken. Steamed. Served cold. I ask again, "why?" It's a step above eating raw tofu.

*Asked for two orders of "stir fried noodles" pointing to the menu -- got two different dishes. But both were excellent.

Damn was all set to go here tonight with my wine group and got a call they had to close for some emergency reason. What's a good alternative? Ping's?

I did hear some jackhammering from out on the street in front of Wu's this morning; maybe there was a gas or water problem.

I don't know where else you might go where you can bring your own wine at no charge. Congee Village?

Hope it's not closed for long. It's the only real Chinese restaurant left in Manhattan.

Hope it's not closed for long. It's the only real Chinese restaurant left in Manhattan.

there are a few hand pulled noodle places, a couple of hot pot places, some dumpling spots like shu jiao fu zhou, some decent BBQ spots, a pretty good tofu place, but, not much else really. better grocery stores than restaurants.

what passes for dim sum these days is rather sad.

And some decent enough Szechuan. I also like Spicy Village, but only for take out or delivery, because it's a dump.

I can't tell from my window if they're (Wu's) open today. But I'll walk over at lunch and see.

that area does better in the winter for me.

Think we should have a grand Renovation Re-opening Party (with lots of wine).

Yes. Slammed at lunchtime today. Worth walking by just to see the horror movie giant crabs in the tanks. I'd actually like to see one of those go up against Godzilla.

Indeed - had lunch here on Friday, but failed to notice any of the renovations which had apparently taken place.

I don't know about "renovations".

https://patch.com/new-york/carrollgardens/s/gh2rq/see-the-nyc-restaurants-ordered-closed-last-week?utm_source=alert-breakingnews&utm_medium=email&utm_term=weather&utm_campaign=alert