Sign in to follow this  
joethefoodie

Wu's Wonton King (nee Wing Shoon)

Yes. Slammed at lunchtime today. Worth walking by just to see the horror movie giant crabs in the tanks. I'd actually like to see one of those go up against Godzilla.

When we were there, someone ordered one of those crabs. The waiter brought it out, live, and put it on the table before sending it back to meet its maker. It was huge and very angry.

Well, do you know how much Godzilla charges for catching them?

It confirmed to me that Cantonese is really my favorite Chinese regional cuisine. I love the layers of flavor of Sichuan, and the heartiness of Hunanese (spicy division) and Shanghainese (non-spicy division). But the delicate flavors and letter-perfect preparations of well-done Cantonese are like home to me.

i will be in hong kong again for 7-10 days this winter. i will be sure to post lots of pictures for you.

Total knockout meal here.

Cantonese is really my favorite Chinese regional cuisine.

I agree.

It confirmed to me that Cantonese is really my favorite Chinese regional cuisine. I love the layers of flavor of Sichuan, and the heartiness of Hunanese (spicy division) and Shanghainese (non-spicy division). But the delicate flavors and letter-perfect preparations of well-done Cantonese are like home to me.

i will be in hong kong again for 7-10 days this winter. i will be sure to post lots of pictures for you.

Thats the thing too. I love Cantonese more than the next guy but, there are very few places, more so, very few dishes that would fly over there. To understand how different Chinese food in America is compared to in China its mind blowing. Like, almost down to a simple plate of steamed spinach. I dont understand it, but I know it when I see it

I have spent time in Guangzhou and though I dont care much for the city, the food is unbelievable.

Hope it's not closed for long. It's the only real Chinese restaurant left in Manhattan.

What in the world do you mean by this?

You're making the assumption I know what I'm talking about!!! :wacko: :flirt: :wub: :o

It just seems crazy- Manhattan and especially the east village is in the middle of a Chinese food renaissance. I cant remember a time that there was more exciting Chinese in Manhattan. Either your standards are way way higher than mine or youre eating in the wrong places.

I realise this forum essentially comprises the opinions of a dozen or so frequent posters, but recent Eater coverage made me wonder why I haven't seen more discussion of the East Village Chinese food renaissance.

From a personal standpoint, I don't find myself rushing to many of the newest places simply because they look to be so damn uncomfortable. I realize that they're not meant to coddle you, just to feed you, but at a certain point a modicum of comfort, good service, reasonable noise levels, etc. etc. all become almost as important to me as the food.

As I mentioned about Kings County Imperial, it was actually comfortable...but then of course, the food was a "C."

I realise this forum essentially comprises the opinions of a dozen or so frequent posters, but recent Eater coverage made me wonder why I haven't seen more discussion of the East Village Chinese food renaissance.

Wow! I didn’t realize there were still a dozen!