Tim Cook's Customer Letter

The recent Gibney video on 9/11 follows the CIA wiretaps and evidence on al-Qaeda plotters. In 2000, CIA had hours of video tying back to the guys taking flying lessons. When the FBI asked if the CIA Had info, CIA denied it.

Giving the FBI a key to the safe doesn't mean they'll do anything useful with it. Previous adventures had them smearing Dr King with products of sometimes illegal and warrantless searches.

"Giving the FBI a key to the safe" is a terrifying prospect. Giving either agency this tool does not in itself make us an iota safer but creates unquantifiable exposure to our personal and financial information. I am heartened to hear this morning that other tech companies are joining Cook in his defiance of this last gasp FBI move.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

is the issue here techology? I assume that any information on an iPhone would be obtainable by warrant if it were in hard copy. And isn't Apply at the forefront of destroying consumer's privacy by c

The iPhone – choice of discerning terrorists around the world.

They're just trying to get some sales from the terrorist contingent by highlighting the advantages of newer models.

"Giving the FBI a key to the safe" is a terrifying prospect. Giving either agency this tool does not in itself make us an iota safer but creates unquantifiable exposure to our personal and financial information.

Federal banking and investment laws insure that they already know all about your checking account and stock holdings. Do you really think the NSA isn't already reading your email and texts? And running your phone calls through a screening program?

Scott McNealy famously said "You have zero privacy anyway. Get over it." That was in 1999. History has shown us he was right.

"Giving the FBI a key to the safe" is a terrifying prospect. Giving either agency this tool does not in itself make us an iota safer but creates unquantifiable exposure to our personal and financial information.

Federal banking and investment laws insure that they already know all about your checking account and stock holdings. Do you really thing the NSA isn't already reading your email and texts? And running your phone calls through a screening program?

Scott McNealy famously said "You have zero privacy anyway. Get over it." That was in 1999. History has shown us he was right.

Scott McNealy's is my husband's favorite quote. I still have more faith in Tim Cook than I do in government. :D Or judges, vis a vis the fiasco surrounding Scolia's death.

eta if you make something simple enough for the FBI to access, just think of the opportunities for a 14 year old in China or Russia.

Even conservative judges? :P

It's worth reading Cook's letter as a PR move intended to assure customers that Apple values their privacy. Seems reasonable to do given everything that came out post-Snowden.

Though there are fringe tech-libertarian elements that... well, whatever. They're weird.

One of the WSJ observers mentioned last night that Apple apparently offered a one off, we'll try to crack this one phone. FBI said no dice.

May turn out like Capone and Jeraldo Rivera. Safe is empty, no notes on the phone. They already know the calls and phone numbers.

One of the WSJ observers mentioned last night that Apple apparently offered a one off, we'll try to crack this one phone. FBI said no dice.

May turn out like Capone and Jeraldo Rivera. Safe is empty, no notes on the phone. They already know the calls and phone numbers.

right, they already got in there. the idea that there's more they haven't already found in the phone, that doesn't leave enough of a trail for them to find anything still encrypted from other sources is unlikely. this is an attempt to get a key they can use all the time for any reason and not have to go back to apple or any one else.

You have more faith in a businessman like Tim Cook than judges? Really???????????????? This is sad. Really sad.

It is, isn't it. Judges are just people, some are just very well connected people. Several I know aren't the smartest kids on their blocks.

A good friend makes a living doing research for and advising judges. She is scarily bright and squeakily ethical. I wish all judges had access to someone of her caliber and the lack of hubris to use it.

This is now way off-topic, but since this is obviously something I'm very interested in: I'm not sure I understand how judges can hire consultants to advise them. That seems to be WAY outside proper legal processes (all the information judges use in deciding cases is supposed to come to them through the litigants). (Unless you mean your friend is a court attorney or law clerk?)

Judges don't "hire" special masters. The parties do (albeit at the judge's direction). And special masters don't "advise" judges. They issue preliminary opinions or recommendations, publicly, which judges then either accept or reject, publicly.

As for independent experts that judges may force the litigants to pay for, aren't they the same kind of experts the parties would hire themselves? There isn't a separate group of "judicial" experts, is there? Their retention is so rare that it wouldn't be a viable field. And in any event, they don't "advise" judges, either. Do they? I thought they issue public opinions, which, again, the judge then accepts or rejects in a public decision. I thought judges aren't allowed to receive outside "advice" privately, where it can't be challenged by the parties and reviewed by appellate courts.