akiko, i don't ski or snowboard (my preference is to get drunk in the lodge) but i expect fml's nightmare driving scenarios are for weekends. when i teach monday-wednesday-friday schedules my classes are very sparsely attended on fridays in the winter. i think there might be a bus service from boulder to various snow destinations.

Unfortunately, the ice storms, snow storms, sleet, freezing rain, black ice, slush, avalanches, and rocklides don't usually know what day of the week it is; they follow their own schedule.

I did not speak of how long the 90 - 250 mile drive takes, because it is unspeakable. For Summit County: In perfect conditions, you can be smiling on a lift at Breckenridge 2 1/2 hours after leaving Boulder. However, ice storms, snow storms, sleet, freezing rain, black ice, slush, avalanches, and rocklides are always possible, and crawling weekend traffic to and fro from Denver/Boulder is normal, not unusual.

Getting drunk in the lodge is a fine activity. I hear there's frequently good beer available.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Purple sky and 70º.  Sigh. 

Of course, tomorrow it could be -10º and blizzardy.  :rolleyes: 

now, now--this is my second winter here and it has never gotten close to -10 in boulder (fahrenheit that is). not much by way of blizzards either. as others have said, if you like thunderstorms and insane windstorms we're the town for you.

Mongo had not yet arrived here a couple of years ago when we got 6 feet of snow over 3 days in march; Boulder Valley School District, shut down for a week. Exciting. Two days later the snow was only a memory. It did set some record or other.

The chinook winds are howlers, warm and wild in winter. The 100 mile gusts take your breath away.

And 10 below is pushing the records.

We've got great rainbows. I've stood under a double rainbow, and almost reached the pot of gold at the end of another.

Lightning puts on a show too. There's also the occasional forest fire.

I didn't think to mention the rainbows, but yes, they are part of the thunderstorm blessing.

I remember being hugely pregnant on the Fourth of July (1988) when the biggest double rainbow I've ever seen went from one side of the sky to the other. We, too, almost saw the pot of gold: it was that spectacular.

Our residence in Boulder went from mid-January until December 10, of 1988. I was pregnant until mid-September.

Oh yes, and Boulder is an even whiter community than Santa Cruz. The population is so predominantly white that we found ourselves startled to see a black person. It was seriously noteworthy--weeks could go by . The occasions were so rare that we found ourselves unintentionally counting, and had not reached fifty by the time we left.

Having grown up in Georgia, it's still disconcerting to be in places where there are hardly any black people.*

*Once again, the disclaimer: I do not use the phrase "African-American" as, for one thing, it's presumptuous, not to mention unwieldy. Also, our black niece and nephew both say "black," and never "African-American." And finally, I grew up in the "Black is beautiful" era, and think it's time that such an idea was resurrected.

Yay! Mouthfuls let me in!

OK, to add to Mongo's post, there are a few other markets around. First up is Pacific Mercantile in Sakura Square in Denver. This is a very good, very clean Japanese market that has many things you can't find anywhere else. An example is authentic Akita Komachi and Koshi Hikari rice. Now, I've yet to buy the $30+/lb rice, but they also carry the short-grain rice I like: Tamaki Gold and Tamanishiki in 5 and 15 lb bags. These usually aren't at "asian" markets, which seems to stop at medium-grain Kokuho Rose as their Japanese sushi rice.

Another place to mention is Pacific Ocean Marketplace, which I believe *might* be the supermarket Mongo was searching for on Alameda. The good thing is that they have opened a branch in Broomfield, making good fried shallots just 15 or so minutes from Boulder! Likewise, they have the fun tanks o' fish, pork uterus, durian, thousand-year eggs, and various things you can't find anywhere but good Asian supermarkets (including very good frozen Dover sole). My current want is the roasted duck and suckling pig they sell. The duck is affordable, but have fun with the pig price! It too is in what seems to be a Vietnamese enclave; I think there are 3 or 4 "Pho #" restaurants all around one intersection.

I didn't think to mention the rainbows, but yes, they are part of the thunderstorm blessing.

I remember being hugely pregnant on the Fourth of July (1988) when the biggest double rainbow I've ever seen went from one side of the sky to the other. We, too, almost saw the pot of gold: it was that spectacular.

Our residence in Boulder went from mid-January until December 10, of 1988. I was pregnant until mid-September.

Oh yes, and Boulder is an even whiter community than Santa Cruz. The population is so predominantly white that we found ourselves startled to see a black person. It was seriously noteworthy--weeks could go by . The occasions were so rare that we found ourselves unintentionally counting, and had not reached fifty by the time we left.

Having grown up in Georgia, it's still disconcerting to be in places where there are hardly any black people.*

*Once again, the disclaimer: I do not use the phrase "African-American" as, for one thing, it's presumptuous, not to mention unwieldy. Also, our black niece and nephew both say "black," and never "African-American." And finally, I grew up in the "Black is beautiful" era, and think it's time that such an idea was resurrected.

You left Boulder when I got here. I opened a takeout and catering business in Boulder in 1988. Have you been back since? It has changed, a lot.

There are still hardly any black people.

And good to see you The Matt. Another voice in the wilderness. Thanks for the information about the broomfield Vietnamese enclave; I knew a market was in the planning stages, sounds like Pacific Ocean Marketplace, didn't realize it had opened. I've not been yet.

You left Boulder when I got here. I opened a takeout and catering business in Boulder in 1988. Have you been back since? It has changed, a lot.

There are still hardly any black people.

And good to see you The Matt. Another voice in the wilderness. Thanks for the information about the broomfield Vietnamese enclave; I knew a market was in the planning stages, sounds like Pacific Ocean Marketplace, didn't realize it had opened. I've not been yet.

I was back in 1989, shortly after the big earthquake here in Santa Cruz. I remember getting off the plane and my feet relaxing for the first time in weeks. I could trust the earth again.

I still have friends there, one of whom used to have a thing called Leena's Diner. She would have a weekly multi-course feast in her house, for twenty people or so (friends = paying guests). It was wonderful.

And good to see you The Matt. Another voice in the wilderness. Thanks for the information about the broomfield Vietnamese enclave; I  knew a market was in the planning stages, sounds like Pacific Ocean Marketplace, didn't realize it had opened. I've not been yet.

Yeah, it opened a month or so ago. It's located at 120th and Main, I think. At least, it's on 120th, and I just go east until I see it. Here is a link to a Camera Story (reg. req'd).

And thank you all for the welcome.

The Moongate Asian Grill opened a branch on S. Bouder Rd. in Lafayette at the beginning of the week (They have 2 other locations, one in Boulder, and one in Denver). The menu is somewhat pan-asian. We tried the potstickers, vietnamese eggrolls, chicken coconut soup (Tom Kha Gai) and Thai Hot & Sour Soup. The soups were just plain strange. The chicken coconut soup was a beige chickeny creamy sort of sweet base with inch square chunks of pale purplish raw red onion, some chopped and shredded raw mushroom, and a few strips of chicken that seemed to dissolve on the tongue. Not good. The Thai Hot & Sour Soup featured a brownish broth, sort of sweet, with a slightly vinegary finish, those same raw onion chunks and mushroom flotsam, and 2 hunks of pale pink tomato and 2 flavorless shrimp.

The pot stickers and Vietnamese eggrolls were pretty good. I can't comment on the service; we did takeout.

Hiya – The creator of the “Food Blog That Took Over the World and Stirred Up Such Interest That the Only Sensible Thing to Do Was Ban Him for Being Too Creative” let me know that all the cool kids in class are hanging out here now.

I need to get back on the horse, so to speak, after suffering through a case of the worst food poisoning in the galaxy that left me pondering whether I’d ever want to eat anything again. So can anyone recommend a good Cabernet to go with my super-premium Zesta saltine crackers? (winky, winky)

Hiya – The creator of the “Food Blog That Took Over the World and Stirred Up Such Interest That the Only Sensible Thing to Do Was Ban Him for Being Too Creative” let me know that all the cool kids in class are hanging out here now.

I need to get back on the horse, so to speak, after suffering through a case of the worst food poisoning in the galaxy that left me pondering whether I’d ever want to eat anything again. So can anyone recommend a good Cabernet to go with my super-premium Zesta saltine crackers? (winky, winky)

Forget the cabernet for the crackers. You need the bubbly stuff'. Since alka seltzer and club soda are good, think about trying champagne.

Nice to see you. Sorry to hear you've been under the weather; here, we've been talking about the weather. You're right about the horse. Giddyap, it's National Western Stock Show time.

Do tell about the food poisoning; names left out or changed to protect the guilty, if necessary.

Talk about that Manischewitz stuff is a gag.

I miss the mountains.

Hi Cathy,

... Nice to see you. I grew up in NYC, and moved to Colorado. You grew up in Colorado and moved to NYC. You get to eat the rye bread I miss, I get to play in the mountains you miss. ...

Almost, fml.  These days I have to order the rye bread from Zingerman's. 

I'm shattered; okay, maybe only a little flaky. But memories of rye bread have haunted me for years.

no, but i have two bottles of manischewitz...

I may have to drink some of that stuff to convince myself that at least some thing is sacrosanct. Manischewitz must still be the same, no? L'Chaim (to life).

Another place to mention is Pacific Ocean Marketplace, which I believe *might* be the supermarket Mongo was searching for on Alameda.  The good thing is that they have opened a branch in Broomfield, making good fried shallots just 15 or so minutes from Boulder!  Likewise, they have the fun tanks o' fish, pork uterus, durian, thousand-year eggs, and various things you can't find anywhere but good Asian supermarkets (including very good frozen Dover sole).  My current want is the roasted duck and suckling pig they sell.  The duck is affordable, but have fun with the pig price!  It too is in what seems to be a Vietnamese enclave; I think there are 3 or 4 "Pho #" restaurants all around one intersection.

I just went to Pacific Ocean Marketplace in Broomfield. Thanks for your report, TheMatt; You said it well. It's well stocked, bright, clean, spacious; it was busy but not crazy on a late Saturday afternoon, lots of people, lots of ethnicities. The fresh fish looked and smelled just right; prices on the fish were amazingly low: whole red snapper, 2.99 lb.

They have signs up saying "Dim Sum", and a bun display case. There's the hanging roast pork belly, roast chicken, roast duck.

My prize purchase: a stewing chicken with the feet and head still attached (frozen). I can make chicken soup that tastes like my grandmother's.

It's worth the few minutes drive to Broomfield. It's on the southeast corner of Main and 120th.

I just went to Pacific Ocean Marketplace in Broomfield. Thanks for your report, TheMatt; You said it well. It's well stocked, bright, clean, spacious; it was busy but not crazy on a late Saturday afternoon, lots of people, lots of ethnicities. The fresh fish looked and smelled just right; prices on the fish were amazingly low: whole red snapper, 2.99 lb.

Yeah, compared to what I've paid for Dover sole or snapper at Whole Foods, the prices there are much better. I haven't bought any fresh fish yet, but I might make up an ice-filled chest and make a fish run soon.

They have signs up saying "Dim Sum", and a bun display case. There's the hanging roast pork belly, roast chicken, roast duck.

My prize purchase: a stewing chicken with the feet and head still attached (frozen). I can make chicken soup that tastes like my grandmother's.

Did you get a silky chicken or a "regular" one? I've always heard broth from silky chicken is better, but I have yet to try and make it. I did, finally, see one alive at the Stock Show last week. Kinda pretty.