• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Every time I eat here just emphasizes to me what an excellent restaurant this is.   A word to the wise: have the soft-shell crab while it's here.   Also, I have to say that the pulled jackfruit

I mean, who wouldn't want to talk about something as hilarious as sending a patron trying to get to the bathroom back to his table for a birthday presentation?

• 3 months later...

This really is an extraordinarily good restaurant restaurant -- one of the best in New York, I'd say.

Lots of new (to me) stuff on the menu.

Among the recommendations: the crab claws, the pickled ribs, the ghee roasted lamb.

That treacle dessert continues to be fantastic.

And, recognizing that orange wine goes great with this food, they're expanding their offerings.

• 1 month later...

still good.

I really liked the salmon main & the treacle tart, but everything I tried was good. they gave my kids an incredible mango sorbet.

the paolo bea santa chiara 2012 was good, if not as nice as the slovenian wine I had last time.

• 3 weeks later...

Every time I eat here just emphasizes to me what an excellent restaurant this is.

A word to the wise: have the soft-shell crab while it's here.

Also, I have to say that the pulled jackfruit phulka is quite a treat.

It's probably more a reflection on me than on them that my discussions of this restaurant always seem to center on the beverage program. Having established that orange wines are amazingly good pairings for "modern" Indian food, they are now embarking on an attempt to convince New Yorkers to consider Madeira a good pairing for spicy savory food. Well, one down: I'm convinced. And their extensive new Madeira list is fun to just fuck around in.

Also, the cocktail list continues to be, along with Eleven Madison Park's, about the best "restaurant" cocktail list in town.

Every time I go to this place, I walk out loving it.

COMP DISCLOSURE: my first Madeira. (It worked.)

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

We had a lot less successful meal here this time. Service was hilarious, with 45 minutes until anything was placed on the table, waiters walking around in circles with food until someone placed sharing dishes on the table, an elderly diner from the next table being sent back to his chair when he was trying to go to the restroom as his birthday dessert was coming, all sort of loud breakage events in the service area in the back, and the food seems to have largely been transformed into either antojito formats, or messy presentations with rice. It's still not a bad Indian restaurant by any means but I wouldn't rush back based on this meal. The GM was genuinely interested in engaging in conversation about it.

• 6 months later...