Le Coq Rico

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They are at Home depot:   A "heads up" for you all who may be regular Home Depot customers. Over the last month I became a victim of a clever scam while out shopping. Simply going out to get suppli

Arrived at 7:00 pm Friday 3/11/16. Opened the day before. A beautiful space and very accommodating staff. We shared the first two courses. My wife had sautéed chicken livers, hummus & mâche, I h

Well then, a double welcome to Mr. RBI! You have already demonstrated exquisite taste.   Definitely a place I'm interested in trying.   I just have one question: I noticed those numbers (110 day

RE: January restaurant doldrums.

I was in one of my local places last night at the bar, where the bartender/owner was moaning about the slowness of the biz right now. But within a half hour, every seat was occupied, and people were actually talking to me (which last night, I was hoping to avoid).

ETA: Though at least it was women talking to me. Why, I have no idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Dinner last night - first time.

Totally enjoyable and the comparison to LCC is unavoidable.

LCR has a more casual setting, but the nooks and crannies make for a more interesting room. LCC is more formal in its service and table settings which include tablecloths - a big plus.

LCR has a smaller wine list but prices are more fair with more bargains.

Now let's get to the only thing that really matters - the food. I would give the edge to LCC in terms of apps. They are more diverse, but the eggs at LCR are above and beyond anything at LCC.

As far as entrees LCC gets the nod for the breadth of its menu, but the poultry (which is basically all they have) at LCR is dynamite. We had the stuffed chicken for two and it could easily have fed three. It was perfectly crisp, moist and served with tasty vegetables. We noticed whole and quarter chicken being served to other tables and they all looked impressive.

We're not dessert eaters but shared one scoop of the cinnamon, clove, ginger and white pepper ice cream. I had to try it based on that and paired it with a glass of LH Riesling. Simply outstanding.

The tariff was a third less than LCC ($245 all in).

At the end of the night we decided this will be the place to replace Annisa in our rotation, while LCC will be in the special occasion category with a few others.

Next time - the I'ile Flottante. Best one I've had.

The Ile Flottante at Le Coq Rico is indeed wonderful.

But, fanboy that I am, I feel compelled to give a shout-out to the fabulously good Ile Flottante that Ghaya Oliveira used to make at Bar Boulud before she was kicked upstairs.

Anyone have pics or precise descriptions of this version? Or Sneak's preferred dish?