Le Coq Rico

I think the primary problem here is they don't know how to compensate for the lack of flavor of local ingredients, for example no aging of the Rohan duck or foie. But having said that, the foie terrine, giblet plate, vegetables, duck, and excellent fries were enjoyable and service was good. That 8:30pm on a Monday meant we were by far the last table is almost as depressing as walking back home along empty, closed, or closing places at 10:30*. The space is truly weird.

* p.s. unrelated but Clinton Street, now again featuring street prostitution and no aspiring restaurants is a good example of how gentrification can sometimes fail.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They are at Home depot:   A "heads up" for you all who may be regular Home Depot customers. Over the last month I became a victim of a clever scam while out shopping. Simply going out to get suppli

Arrived at 7:00 pm Friday 3/11/16. Opened the day before. A beautiful space and very accommodating staff. We shared the first two courses. My wife had sautéed chicken livers, hummus & mâche, I h

Well then, a double welcome to Mr. RBI! You have already demonstrated exquisite taste.   Definitely a place I'm interested in trying.   I just have one question: I noticed those numbers (110 day

I think the primary problem here is they don't know how to compensate for the lack of flavor of local ingredients

I don't want to sound like I'm licking your butt, but this is one of the most perceptive observations I've heard about food in NYC in a while.

Yay! Street prostitution and no aspiring restaurants are back! Lost New York is saved!

I think the primary problem here is they don't know how to compensate for the lack of flavor of local ingredients

I don't want to sound like I'm licking your butt, but this is one of the most perceptive observations I've heard about food in NYC in a while.

Now I'm wondering if the prostitutes on Clinton lick butt. And also what block of Clinton they're on.

* p.s. unrelated but Clinton Street, now again featuring street prostitution and no aspiring restaurants is a good example of how gentrification can sometimes fail.

Funny, my feeling in November was somewhat the opposite - that it was so far along the gentrification process that all that was left were quasi-branded "celeb" chef type projects and places designed for a quick buck or getting drunk.

Now I'm wondering if the prostitutes on Clinton lick butt. And also what block of Clinton they're on.

At around 12:30am on a Friday night, a count of between one and three on each block between Delancy and Houston.

Funny, my feeling in November was somewhat the opposite - that it was so far along the gentrification process that all that was left were quasi-branded "celeb" chef type projects and places designed for a quick buck or getting drunk.

Oh, there are places to get drunk for sure, but they're meant for b&t as far as I can see. A far cry from WD50 for sure but even from 71CFF, Falai, Alias...

Oh, there are places to get drunk for sure, but they're meant for b&t as far as I can see. A far cry from WD50 for sure but even from 71CFF, Falai, Alias...

My feeling was more the recent post-grad crowd, but it gets us to the same place. Our conversation walking down the street was "wow, there is nowhere here we would want to eat or drink".

Hmmm...

But there were lots of places someone wants to eat, and it seemed that the "someone" was young, affluent, etc. and characteristic of a certain type of post-gentrification nabe. My sense wasn't one of a return to its prior characteristics. Just that it wasn't good (which may be a sort of failed gentrification, I guess).

I think it's (Clinton St.) partial, or even stalled gentrification. At least in terms of new places to live.

The real shit is happening along south side Delancey/Broome, Clinton to Ludlow, which will see an influx of thousands of new residents.

Not that I expect that will make the dining situation any better.

At around 12:30am on a Friday night, a count of between one and three on each block between Delancy and Houston.

What you saw might have been bachelorette party attendees who'd strayed from their herd.