Le Coq Rico

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They are at Home depot:   A "heads up" for you all who may be regular Home Depot customers. Over the last month I became a victim of a clever scam while out shopping. Simply going out to get suppli

Arrived at 7:00 pm Friday 3/11/16. Opened the day before. A beautiful space and very accommodating staff. We shared the first two courses. My wife had sautéed chicken livers, hummus & mâche, I h

Well then, a double welcome to Mr. RBI! You have already demonstrated exquisite taste.   Definitely a place I'm interested in trying.   I just have one question: I noticed those numbers (110 day

Guest Autorité suprême

Our first meal here was a bit of a disappointment. The roast chicken (Brune Landaise) and Rohan duck were good but nothing extraordinary. The highlights were the eggs Meurette, the potato pureee, the Floating Island. I think next time we will order the Baeckeoffe and try more of the apps. Service was excellent and the wine service was well done. We brought a Cornas and a 1/2 bottle of sauternes which we had with the foie terrine and the desserts.

• 3 weeks later...

Le Coq Rico is immediately between the PokéStop at the N. S. Meyer, Inc Building (the one with Gramercy Tavern) and a contested Pokémon Gym immediately to the west. The PokéStop had a lure module up during the full duration of our dinner there. We spent most gaps between courses catching Pokémon and contesting the gym.

Oh, also, the oeuf en meurette is as outstanding as everyone claimed, and the squab was outrageously good as well. The quarter Brune Landaise was fine but not really outstanding.

We walked in last night, and didn't have a problem getting seats at the kitchen counter; they're comfortable and it's well air-conditioned, so the heat from the line (and a gorgeous line it is) isn't bothersome.

Great squab dish. And I still really like the offal platter.

Lots of French spoken, but it doesn't feel that bizarre because everyone on the line was actually speaking French.

This is really a case where the food isn't "interesting" but just really good. I mean, unless you're Steve, there's nothing "interesting" about a list of roast poultry dishes. But, man . . . .

(The oeufs en meurette are still the best thing there, though.)

Last week, we had lunch a Coq Rico, our fifth visit and second for lunch which I prefer because it's much quieter especially with a reservation between 2 and 3 p.m.

We've been making our way down the list of birds. This time, we had the guinea fowl. It had a high bar to meet because a few weeks ago we had a superb whole roasted guinea hen at Rotisserie Georgette. While the Coq Rico guinea fowl was very good, I felt Georgette's surpassed it.

To keep things light, we decided to stick with just the salad that comes with all the roasted birds and not order an extra side. However, Anthony wouldn't let us get away with that and sent out the ethereal puréed potatoes which I adore.

What really blew us away was the intensely flavorful cold Tomato Consommé accompanied by seriously delicious tomato and tartare on toasted baguettes.

We finished by sharing the peach poached in verbena infusion with fresh summer berries accompanied by a Madeleine and verbena ice cream. A perfect summer dessert.

Next time, the squab!

Photos of this lunch

Thanks for this, Roz. And a belated thanks for your always super photos. The tomato consommé does look wonderful. It (and its gapacho cousin) are favorites of mine and dishes I deeply respect, knowing the quantity of fruit each requires and the time-consuming filtration.

Thanks for this, Roz. And a belated thanks for your always super photos. The tomato consommé does look wonderful. It (and its gapacho cousin) are favorites of mine and dishes I deeply respect, knowing the quantity of fruit each requires and the time-consuming filtration.

Thanks so much, Voyager, for the compliment! The only other place we've had anything like that consommé has been at EMP. In the past, EMP's summer menu has included a small cup of what they labeled Tomato Tea.

15105353659_7775f6acff.jpg

In this year's summer menu which we just had on Friday, the consommé is poured around a tomato slice.

28212653620_22929953a7.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Now that I've gone with enough people to order one of the whole birds, I have to say it was magnificent.

And it was great to see Chef Westermann -- whom I don't think any of us expected to stay here more than a few months -- still out working the room, in the best Alsatian-chef-in-New York manner.