Sign in to follow this  
Wilfrid

Kings County Imperial

Why aren't you guys all over the current scandal? Infatuation posts a review raving about this place run by two non-Chinese white guys, talks about gross MSG-packed meals in Chinatown and Flushing, is called out as racist, removes review and apologizes....

Mouthfuls heaven, surely. (Or did I miss the thread?)

Given that Steinthal is "afraid of" Indian food, it's not all that surprising: http://www.theinfatuation.com/new-york/reviews/moti-mahal-delux

When I wrote for them back in 2013, they published a review that had the following "joke" in it: "OK, first of all, this dish contained an ingredient called rapeseed. No idea what that is, but as a group of people that have the maturity level of twelve year olds, let’s giggle about it for a second."

I had to email them to tell them to take it out.

Looks like the first shot in the Eater/Infatuation war has been fired.

The Eater review is well written. Gotta try this place when we return... we heard all about it when it was in the planning stages, since the owner (co-owner of Stone Park) ate next to us at Noodle Pudding's bar one night last year and we got into a conversation about it. Glad to see it seems to have hit the mark.

I ate there once. I was mildly disappointed. It wasn't bad, but I think a place like this has to be really really good to have a reason to exist at all. And it just wasn't.

I think we're all too afraid of the admins arbitrarily deciding that the discussion is political, then shutting it down.

• Like 1

I really don't find the review all that offensive. It's not in excellent taste, but I'm not really offended by it. I mean, I'm not Chinatown Chinese, but it's not like Serena Dai is either (as far as I can tell).

I didn't think it was excitingly offensive, just run of the mill. But the Eater v Infatuation comment is shrewd.

I don't think it's excitingly offensive, either. It just reflects a douchey view of food and dining that I find contemptible.

Of course, they have their audience.

(Of course, it really IS about Eater v. Infatuation.)