Merle Haggard

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Damn. 79.

That's true, but it just so happens that he's probably best known to a broad audience for the reactionary stuff.

There's no Wilfrid Amnesty Program.   I was listening to NPR this afternoon and Steve Earle was saying how Haggard had pissed him off in the early 70s but he'd gotten over it. In light of Haggard's

I could listen to these all afternoon. What a career.

One of the things a great songwriter does is produce work that can be successfully recorded by others. The songs are broad enough to transcend their composer. I first heard Sing Me Back Home in the 1970s when the Burrito Brothers did it. Gram Parsons' vocal would have made Haggard proud.

One of those artists you want to see in person before they die. We had tickets to see him perform here in Las Vegas in December during the rodeo. The pneumonia started the week before, so the show was cancelled. Same thing happened to me when I wanted to see Ray Charles. Bought the tickets, and he died about 2 weeks before the show. :(

One of those artists you want to see in person before they die. We had tickets to see him perform here in Las Vegas in December during the rodeo. The pneumonia started the week before, so the show was cancelled. Same thing happened to me when I wanted to see Ray Charles. Bought the tickets, and he died about 2 weeks before the show. :(

Evelyn, if I ever give a concert, PLEASE don't buy tickets.

Evelyn, if I ever give a concert, PLEASE don't buy tickets.

And just to cover all the bases, don't come to Chicago.

A similar thing happed to me regarding Harry Chapin. He was in town for a concert and tickets were still available the day before. I figured I'd see him the next time he's in town. Didn't happen.