We were at Grunauer last night. Very attractive space. I would have preferred it a little less noisy, but it being a Saturday night (we arrived at 9 p.m.), almost all the tables were occupied, including one fairly loud table of six. Maybe it's quieter during the week? Also, the music being played -- some thumpy rock stuff -- was a horrible fit. Things improved when they later switched to Sinatra, Bobby Darin, and other "golden oldies." Mozart (he's depicted on the corner mural) would be more my speed and, I think, appropriate.

I had noticed on the website that they were importing white asparagus from Austria which I thought would be available for a very limited time. But it turned out they were still offering it as either a soup or cold with gravlax. We chose the latter. For the main course, we both had the Wiener Schnitzel which comes with potato and cucumber salads. We added a side of spätzle. For dessert, we shared the knockerl. I totally concur with Robert and Sneakeater that the food here is first-rate!

In the aftermath of Super Storm Sandy, Michael and I had to vacate our apartment. We stayed on the UES for several days. One of the restaurants we went to was Heidelberg, for lunch. Our expectations were not exactly high, so we were shocked when the food turned out to be well-prepared and delicious. Grunauer is its competition, albeit Austrian rather than German (whatever those distinctions may be).

Grunauer photos

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You LIKE Old Heildelberg? I'm very surprised, Roz. I don't think I've ever disagreed with you on food quality before.

Did you not read my comment above? Until our lunch post-Sandy, it had been ages since we'd been there. Probably sometime in the 1970's or 80's. And that was only one time. As I said, I didn't have high expectations for the food at our lunch and so was shocked at how excellent it was. Have you been there more recently?

I guess I read your comment as saying no more than it was better than you expected.

I'd say the last time I was there was maybe a year before Sandy.

I did say that "...we were shocked when the food turned out to be well-prepared and delicious."

Maybe we just lucked out and whoever was doing the cooking that day did a much better job than when you were there.

• 1 month later...

One star (seems right).

I will attest that (a) the kaiserschmarrn are ridiculously good and (b) even non-critics get the complimentary schnapps (indeed, one night, when I was dining alone, Peter Grunauer sat down with me after my dinner and wouldn't leave until the bottle was finished) (THAT was a good time!).

Indeed, I've enjoyed this restaurant extremely each of the three times I've eater there.

One star (seems right).

I will attest that (a) the kaiserschmarrn are ridiculously good and (b) even non-critics get the complimentary schnapps (indeed, one night, when I was dining alone, Peter Grunauer sat down with me after my dinner and wouldn't leave until the bottle was finished) (THAT was a good time!).

Indeed, I've enjoyed this restaurant extremely each of the three times I've eater there.

The only problem with that argument, is that Pete Wells generally gives two stars to places he enjoys that way.

• 4 weeks later...

<snip>

I had a poor meal there, years and years ago. <snip>

Sorry to see you say that. It was one of our go-to places when we lived nearby. Bibb lettuce with pumpkin seeds (and oil), smoked trout crepes, any of the wursts, any schnitzel, and often one of the specials, Salzburger knockerl for dessert, and of course beer, and we were happy eaters. Loved the Liptauer cheese they used to give with the bread so much that we would order it even when they charged for it.

Maybe because we went so much, and were recognized by the staff (some of whom were there for a long time, even from the days when it was Le Zinc), we always had good service.

I liked the food at Seasonal all right, but preferred the informality (and close proximity) of Blaue Gans. I still go sometimes when I'm in the nabe at lunchtime.