• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe they just looked at your pictures and decided not to go?

Or it may mean that the board is biased because of features unrelated to the food*. There's nothing wrong with such a bias because we know restaurants are not about food, but Wilfrid and Instagram tog

I thought I remembered that -- but when I searched for it, I couldn't find it.

Weird.

So roz, what do you guys think of how formal the room is? And how loud? (I guess if you didn't mention noise, it didn't bother you. I have to say that it was much more raucous the second time I went than the first time. I think it was less the difference between Wednesday and Sunday-of-three-day-weekend than the restaurant's catching on.)

Personally speaking, I'm perfectly happy being the worst person at the party -- especially if I suspect I shouldn't have gotten in at all.

Not if it feels like you're in danger of getting kicked out as soon as they realize you don't belong.

Once, upon leaving a Downtown bar, we heard a young woman mutter, 'Good, all the ugly guys are leaving.' The thing is, two of my company, despite being Ivy League physicists, were actually rather handsome fellows. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reflecting on this, I think it's more about feeling low-status than lower-class. My most uncomfortable meal in some time was actually at the NoMad Bar. I dropped in for a quick dinner by myself (with my work bag and all) after a long day at the office, and just felt extremely out of place next to all the cool people there.

I think the NoMad bar would be uncomfortable for anyone dining alone.

[And where does the NoMad restaurant fall in the Mouthfuls scheme? Some of the staff wear suits, the tables are mostly dark and sober-looking, even if lacking tablecloth. Sometimes the service seems very serious, sometimes a bit desultory. It can feel 'dressy' on certain nights, especially if there are a lot of posh couples in the Atrium.]

I think the NoMad restaurant can be uncomfortable, almost as if they're trying too hard to be formal. The NoMad Bar, however, is quite informal as far as dining goes. And I like it more than the restaurant for dining.

had some lyric that went "coucou" over and over again.

Coucou, coucou, on entend le coucou?

A few... A Breton chicken, a bird with a memorable call, and the greeting you call into a French room to announce your presence.

Reflecting on this, I think it's more about feeling low-status than lower-class. My most uncomfortable meal in some time was actually at the NoMad Bar. I dropped in for a quick dinner by myself (with my work bag and all) after a long day at the office, and just felt extremely out of place next to all the cool people there.

In what way was this the restaurant's fault? Unless I have missed it, no one has put the Nomad in the "stuffy/fussy/pretentious" category purportedly patented by Chevalier. Has the NoMad bar done something wrong, because cool folk eat there?

I had a little two-top in the upstairs area to myself.

It's not the restaurant's fault or anything. I'm just a square.

Is the problem with coat-check the initial discomfort on entering a restaurant and wondering if one will be allowed to keep one's coat at table [ie drape it over a chair]? Because, a place where I cannot hang my coat on the chair instantly jumps into formal-ish territory for me.

Unless I'm wearing a suit jacket, I need my coat pockets to store my iPhone and wallet. ^_^

I can only suggest that you quietly be yourself. I am often asked if I want the greeter to take my coat. Sometimes, yes, thank you. Others, thanks, I'd like to keep it. No prob either way.

This isn't really formality, instead giving the diner options for maximum comfort.