Yes. The difference is that this restaurant will succeed. (Although it will still change when Chef Rose leaves.)

Well, and also that this restaurant isn't undercharging for its food.

I think whether or not it will change depends on who Rose leaves in charge of the kitchen after he's no longer there full-time. I'm hoping it be like The Clocktower where, I've noted elsewhere, the food has not declined one iota since Atherton's departure. If he follows Atherton's lead, there will be a trusted chef de cuisine at the helm, and Rose will check in periodically.

From your mouth to God's ear, as my mother would have said.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe they just looked at your pictures and decided not to go?

Or it may mean that the board is biased because of features unrelated to the food*. There's nothing wrong with such a bias because we know restaurants are not about food, but Wilfrid and Instagram tog

I'm a huge fan of Cuozzo's real estate reviews too. :flirt:

Le Coucou makes you forget that the tablecloths are there. But they are, though it's getting murkier and murkier to me why.

I read that earlier and was thinking of posting it but wasn't sure where to put it. Maybe it deserves its own thread? Or we should have a Cuozzo thread? In any case, Cuozzo's attitude about these three new restaurants doesn't surprise me because he's one of the few critics who really does appreciate fine dining.

Like, why not be blunt about the Calavatrasaurus being an utter disgrace? http://nypost.com/2016/02/21/world-trade-centers-4-billion-transit-hub-is-a-lemon/

Santiago Calavatra is a worse architect than Gene Kaufman – Kaufman might make hideous buildings, but at least they don't waste billions of dollars.

Please let's not send this Le Coucou thread off on a real estate discussion tangent. :)

• Like 1

Santiago Calavatra is a worse architect than Gene Kaufman – Kaufman might make hideous buildings, but at least they don't waste billions of dollars.

Calatrava didn't waste billions of dollars. His client did.

I like everything I'm seeing here except the one radish on a plate. I'll take your word the dip is delicious: in a new Nordic environment, it would be some kind of fish paste.

Well, it is an amuse :D !

I got half a radish. They ration the radish!

• Like 1

6. I started with the tripe. I then had a quenelle (better even than the one I had at the Le Caravelle reunion recently). I then had the Tout le Lapin. I wasn't planning to describe dishes, beyond saying they were all stunningly good, but this one is mysterious-sounding enough that it warrants description. You don't get a whole rabbit. You get some of all the parts. You start with a plate of medallions of the saddle and some liver. Then, a pot a feu containing some bony front legs and other bits (you're actually supposed to also spoon in the last bits of the medallions, after the broth in the pot has cooled). Then, the back legs. My logic tells me they must have been confited -- but my memory thinks they were roasted. (I wasn't paying full attention to the food, given the close proximity of that extremely little Little Black Dress.) I also had some dessert or other (having gallantly foregone a cheese plate because my date is lactose intolerant). As I said, this was all stunningly good.

Unintentionally, my dinner was identical to Sneak's.

I hate to be the party pooper, but I thought the rabbit dish was disastrous. Unseasoned medallions, followed by the forelegs--which have almost no meat--in a huge pot of rather bland broth, then the back legs in a preparation which was as unpleasant as anything I've come across in a long time. What do they do to them? The meat is turned into a kind of sludgy paste, but you can hardly detect it under mounds of soft Spanish onions.

The other things were better (but the other things were straight out of a bistro cookbook).

Comparisons with The Elm--if that means the cooking, not just the level of excitement at MF--are surely very misleading.

The other things were better (but the other things were straight out of a bistro cookbook).

Comparisons with The Elm--if that means the cooking, not just the level of excitement at MF--are surely very misleading.

A friend, who is not a MF member, told me almost the same thing over the weekend. Though she was not as kind as you. She eats out about 12 times a week between breakfast, lunch and dinner.

She thought it was one of the worst new openings in years - and also urged me to cancel my reservation.