Reading the reviews, it seems the first visit was well received and the second was much less so. I went just once and that was enough. I think five of us generally panned the place second time around. But I did not recall the place at all until you mentioned it,

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe they just looked at your pictures and decided not to go?

Or it may mean that the board is biased because of features unrelated to the food*. There's nothing wrong with such a bias because we know restaurants are not about food, but Wilfrid and Instagram tog

On Eater's 7/9 Journal, Patty Diez provides this short review about Le Coucou:

Dinner here last week was something special. The room is stunning but not at all intimidating, and the staff moves so elegantly, you feel instantly at ease. For a brand new restaurant, they have seemingly nailed their timing and coursing. All the food ranged from good to really great. A highlight was the poached egg with salmon and artichoke, though the server did not care for my likening the dish to eggs Benedict. The duck with cherries was delicious and I could have had three more of the summer scallops, but a few dishes leaned on the heavier side, leaving me without dessert.

On Eater's 7/9 Journal, Patty Diez provides this short review about Le Coucou:

Dinner here last week was something special. The room is stunning but not at all intimidating, and the staff moves so elegantly, you feel instantly at ease. For a brand new restaurant, they have seemingly nailed their timing and coursing. All the food ranged from good to really great. A highlight was the poached egg with salmon and artichoke, though the server did not care for my likening the dish to eggs Benedict. The duck with cherries was delicious and I could have had three more of the summer scallops, but a few dishes leaned on the heavier side, leaving me without dessert.

I think this further demonstrates my point that the environment at Le Coucou is something a bit special – maybe not novel in absolute terms, but certainly a significant draw for that restaurant in the context of dining in New York circa mid-2016.

Putting aside the rabbit, I think I've figured out the reason for the disjunction between Wilf's view of this place and that of others of us.

I think it comes down to taion's observation that Le Coucou is so usable. I think most of us reacted very favorably to a restaurant that serves very good versions of a kind of food we like, in socially comfortable surroundings that nevertheless provide a level of service and physical comfort that casual restaurants in New York have unfortunately abandoned.

Wilf, OTOH, appears to have expected a "great" restaurant. But nobody is claiming Le Coucou is "great" in the Michelin sense. Just a very very good, very "usable" one. ("Stunningly" good in the context of what it is.) I mean, come on, Le Philosophe wasn't in the same universe as this. And I'd be surprised if the food at L'Express were anywhere near as good as the food here -- but it's been ages since I've been and I'll have to go back. Maybe I'm missing out on what ought to be a favorite. It'll never have the decor and service, though.