• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe they just looked at your pictures and decided not to go?

Or it may mean that the board is biased because of features unrelated to the food*. There's nothing wrong with such a bias because we know restaurants are not about food, but Wilfrid and Instagram tog

I really prefer to figure out what I'm in the mood for at the time.

Also, when as tonight I'm going with multiple other people, I often change my order at the last minute to facilitate the wine selection (Although, yeah, now I know they have half-bottles for everybody.)

I still just love this place.

First, the Rabbit Test.

I really wanted the sole, BTW -- but forced myself to get the rabbit in furtherance of internet food discussion. Frankly, I think you should all chip in to pay for my order.

Anyway, as for the Test, I'm now two for two. The leg was not mushy. Yes, it was under a mass of subise-like onions -- and I can see how they might be too much for someone, although I quite liked them. But, underneath that mass of onions were rabbit legs that maintained their formal integrity, i.e., were recognizable as rabbit legs. Now, sure, they weren't particularly toothsome in the wrong sense of that word (i.e., what it doesn't really mean). But that just means that they were tender. Not, however, mushy or anything unpleasant. (This is not, of course, to deny that Wilf and the Mystery Respondent got mushy legs. Only to say that it appears to be, if not aberrational, at least not the norm.)

As for the broth, it really really takes off when you consume it out of the bowl the medallions were in. The remaining tangy offal bits and pieces of medallion give it the full flavor boost that some contend it needed. (ETA: OF COURSE, WILFRID HIMSELF DID THIS, SO THAT CAN'T EXPLAIN WHY HE FOUND THE BROTH UNDERPOWERED.) I think I might have gotten the best forelegs because I was recognized as a return customer; these were meatier than any I've ever gotten on a rabbit I'd bought for cooking.

For the rest of my order I tried to get things I hadn't had before. The leeks were reallly good (although I'm not at the point where I'm going to get overly excited about a braised vegetable). The veal tongue was really something. No one would complain that this wasn't meaty enough. Perfect texture: soft, but with a little snap.

The chocolate mousse was, if anything, too rich after all this eating. I should have gone with one of the fruitier desserts.

Now, some bad news:

1. The eel is off the menu because local eel are out of season. I wish I'd known I was under time pressure to order this.

But that's not the really bad news. The really bad news is:

2. They no longer do the half-bottle thing.

Service remains outstanding.

Have I mentioned how much I love this place?

Well, as I said in the review, they didn't deliver the initial attempt at my quenelle; the chef didn't think it was successful and he cooked it again. The rabbit was not as good as I can cook myself. Sadly I can only review what I'm fed. I think I was pretty generous considering.