• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Even as a lifelong music enthusiast e.g. blues, R&B, jazz, country, rock, classical, etc., I cannot recall ever hearing or viewing a single song by Prince.

Either that or he'll be another item of ancient pop culture.

i hope this is wrong.

I remember when Dirty Mind came out.

I was in law school. I remember going to a record shop in Central Square where they were selling it really cheap and picking up a copy and going back to my apartment and putting it on. And the top of my head exploded.

This was great. This was what I wanted.

In the following weeks, I grabbed every person in my class whom I liked (a pretty small group) and sat them down and made them listen to it. I gave it to people for their birthday.

We developed quite a following for Prince in my law school class.

My sister is perhaps the biggest prince fan I know. Literally has every album, her cats name is prince, she was bonkers

For him. I remember listening to dirty mind when it came out too. I was in either 3rd or 4th grade and my sister and I went into my parents car and listened to the whole album. Nicky the same came on and taught me all sorts of words and phrases. It took me years to finally get what masterbating on a magazine meant.

I was never a huge fan but one can easily argue he was one of the best performers and greatest guitarists ever.

This is obviously unrepresentative, but I grilled my 15 year old last night. No recognition of Prince whatsoever: not the name, not the face, none of the songs.

A bit extreme. I suspected she wouldn't know much, but I thought he might ring a vague bell. She knows Michael Jackson and Madonna of course.

Does she perchance know the Beatles?

This is obviously unrepresentative, but I grilled my 15 year old last night. No recognition of Prince whatsoever: not the name, not the face, none of the songs.

A bit extreme. I suspected she wouldn't know much, but I thought he might ring a vague bell. She knows Michael Jackson and Madonna of course.

Does she perchance know the Beatles?

As cultural figures, yes. Ditto Rolling Stones. I'd be surprised if she recognized much of the music.

I remember when Dirty Mind came out.

I was in law school. I remember going to a record shop in Central Square where they were selling it really cheap and picking up a copy and going back to my apartment and putting it on. And the top of my head exploded.

This was great. This was what I wanted.

In the following weeks, I grabbed every person in my class whom I liked (a pretty small group) and sat them down and made them listen to it. I gave it to people for their birthday.

We developed quite a following for Prince in my law school class.

A Prince Life Lesson

The following year, in Spring 1981, Prince played a show at a Boston dance club.

Needless to say, all my law school friends whom I had turned on to Prince were out of their minds with excitement. But I decided I couldn't go: I had a bar exam prep class that night, and I thought my whole future hinged on keeping up my attendance.

I remember quite clearly sitting at my desk, and reasoning, "30 years from now, am I going to think, 'that was a really good concert'?"

Well, it's now 35 years. And I'm here to tell you: I wish I went to that show.