What's wrong with Sous Vide here?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When used correctly, and usually with an ensuing sear, what is the big-time knock here on this Board with Sous Vide, especially when it is used for a large dinner crowd with everyone to be served all

My alternative to sous vide for eggs:  

Rich, chefs like sous vide because it makes meat preparation easier when serving everyone in a large crowd at the same time.   The meat preparation is MUCH more difficult (and problematic) if "gri

I'm fine with it in a fine dining restaurant when you are using expensive proteins and you need to get the food perfectly on point. I see little use for it at home. I have an inexpensive sous vide device here (the Dorkfood) and beyond initial experimentation it bored me, the prep to payback ratio for small scale cooking is skewed compared to batch cooking at a restaurant with a large immersion circulator.

Can you get a steak totally perfectly pink on the inside with it and a fast sear compared with grilling or straight up pan searing and oven finishing? Yeah. Do I care? Not really.

I object to the fact that even fine dining restaurants batch cook their food and keep it for a month or so. I also don't like what the cooking method does to meat in particular.. I think I had a squab dish at Alinea that was really good during their testing of their first Next dinner. Other than that, its perfectly fine for home cooks and people that aren't cooking my food. I have had sous vide meats from Arzac to many other modernist type places and have been consistently disappointed. If I dislike the results then, someone has to really love it as I believe there is a distinct textural result.

It's interesting that most here focus on the proteins. I believe sous vide shines quite brightly on various vegetables,

Few people have much of an opinion on carrot cookery, I guess.

I'm not a militant about this, but the last two SV dishes I've knowingly eaten in restaurants were poor, and worse than other stuff I tried off the menu. It's that strangely gloopy over-tenderness. (Both meat.)

Actually I never loved those eggs cooked for days until not quite raw either.

• Like 1

I'm not a militant about this, but the last two SV dishes I've knowingly eaten in restaurants were poor, and worse than other stuff I tried off the menu. It's that strangely gloopy over-tenderness. (Both meat.)

100% word! The meat always tastes to me as if they'd used Adolph's Meat Tenderizer on it, and the so-called "perfect egg" is a poor imitation of a perfectly poached one.

100% word! The meat always tastes to me as if they'd used Adolph's Meat Tenderizer on it, and the so-called "perfect egg" is a poor imitation of a perfectly poached one.

i'd prefer sous vide to adolph's i'm allergic to adolph's

When I had the "perfect egg" at Cosme Mexico, it was far from perfect. I too use to sous vide eggs as it was the thing to do, much easier than poaching and also justified the 2,000 dollar sous vide machine k purchased. I no longer sous vide eggs anymore.

It's interesting that most here focus on the proteins. I believe sous vide shines quite brightly on various vegetables,

Few people have much of an opinion on carrot cookery, I guess.

Therein lies the problem, I guess.

When I opt for a sous vide steak at home, the texture is fine. But it only cooks till it comes to temp, not for 6 hours.

Again, I think the finished product is great for certain proteins - chicken or turkey breast, some seafood, etc. But so's that other super high-tech device I have in my kitchen - the Cuisinart combo oven!