No, they still have the a la carte. Just not on their website.

They're doomed to fail because the food is too weird to appeal to the Uptown food crowd but the place is too Uptown to draw the Downtown food crowd. And of course all the reviewers are going to tell them that we don't eat in restaurants like this anymore. (I just love the dining room.)

Can't wait to hear how you liked it.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Agern is the fancy restaurant that Claus Meyer is opening as part of his food complex in Grand Central Terminal. It is the first part of the complex (which will also encompass a food court and a hot

A few more minutes and it would have become sole.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think Agern will last a year.

I fear that you're right, but hope you're wrong. And I know Wells won't do it...but if Lilia got 3*, I don't see how this wouldn't.

ETA: I'll echo Roz in noting that the dining room was full when I left a couple of weeks ago around 9pm, though it was pretty empty when we got there for our 6:30 reservation.

So when was it common practice to have a bar in the dining room?

I can't answer that because I suck at history. But I ate at Lattanzi tonight, which has two side-by-side dining rooms and a back garden. One of the dining rooms has a bar in it. In other Lattanzi news, their carciofi alla giuda is all wrong and nothing like the dish I had in Rome in 1994 and have been trying to find in Manhattan ever since. Alas.

I fear that you're right, but hope you're wrong. And I know Wells won't do it...but if Lilia got 3*, I don't see how this wouldn't.

Just imagine if Wells gave 3* to every restaurant as good as Il Buco Alimentari.

I think you're being too pessimistic. The two times we had dinner there, it was busy, and most of the patrons were young.

The question is, how many of those people are going to become regulars. You cannot fill a dining room that size with new guests every night, unless Agern becomes one of those rare trophy restaurants that gastro-tourists collect like stuffed animal heads.

I think you're being too pessimistic. The two times we had dinner there, it was busy, and most of the patrons were young.

The question is, how many of those people are going to become regulars. You cannot fill a dining room that size with new guests every night, unless Agern becomes one of those rare trophy restaurants that gastro-tourists collect like stuffed animal heads.

It seems to me in order to encourage repeat business, they need to expand the a la carte offerings and make many of them completely different from the tasting menu. We had the land and sea tasting menu during our first visit, and the problem we faced during our second visit was finding dishes on the a la carte menu we hadn't already had. Fortunately, they'd just introduced a brand new guinea hen main dish. While we'd like to return, at this point we need to wait until there are enough new dishes on the menu to make visiting again worthwhile.