• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

http://www.racinesparis.com/

Expand?

You just have the wrong idea of what a reasonable time is.

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Adrian said:

Added benefit of being ... right near the Bastille opera.

You don't think Chambo knows this, Adrian ?

I got news for you, Big A, he does ... he truly does !

I was snooping on Chambo relatively recently, surreptitiously of course, following his every admirable move ... and I wasn't the only one as there were LOTS of other giddy, like-minded admirers just admiring the way that guy glides and strides and slides down the street ... and his sneaks, Adrian ! Oh my ... oh my oh my ... they were so incredible it's unimaginable ... you should have seen them ... more mindblowingly marvelously modern than any footwear you've ever seen or even dreamed of  ... I can't even begin to describe their extreme extraterrestrial excellence ... but the whole, giant crowd of us lurking Chambo-snoopers were stupefied and mesmerzied by what was before our eyes on his feet near the ground ... and I say near the ground because a growing set of whispers within us watchers were wowed and wondering "Is Chambo walking ... or floating ! ... look at him, look carefully ! ... he was just on the ground ... but now I think He's risen ... has He or has he not ? ... yes He's risen a bit ... has He or has he not ? ... He has ! He has !" ... and that was the general consensus ... the overwhelming consensus

It was electric to be in that crowd, all in back of Chambo and all having Chambo's back ... it was almost as if there was a super powerful, other-worldly reality distortion field creating an amazing, awe-inspiring Chambollic aura enwrapping him in mystery and enwrapping us in rapture ... and this enveloping force field around him felt like it was emanating from his fabulous footwear such that we couldn't clearly see the sneaker-to-street situation to our satisfaction but I swear he was in the air there for a fair share of his steps et il n'y a pas une mère ou un père qui dit le contraire and I don't care if you dare to disbelieve me or not because the entire pack in back of Chambo, us followers, know what is and isn't true ... and we all agree now that it was He and it was the greatest day of our lives that has forever changed us for the better !

Now where were we ?

Oh yeah ... I was telling you that Chambo knows this, Adrian, and the reason that I know that Chambo knows (other than the fact that Chambo is all-knowing, of course) is that while all of the above was happening, not on the road to Damascus, but on the rue de Lyon, I risked my life and dared to advance from behind Chambo to in front of him and I took the following pics ...

January 24, 2022 ... exit Amarante ... left ... left ... left ... snap ... (and yep, Chambo was walking in the middle of this usually busy street, but notice that there are no cars driving on the road anywhere ... what are the chances of that ! just a coincidence ? Of course not !  D.Y.O.R. )

IMG_4583.thumb.JPG.ac4d4e8d81b0b49ebcdbc0bfb90b6d37.JPG

Walked two more minutes, trembling knowing that the Chambollic wonder is now watching me from behind ... snap ...

IMG_4586.thumb.JPG.6ad8be0a13d29e67bb88e46438aad548.JPG

• Like 1

sorry it looks like my kid brother broke into my computer and posted above ... can anything be done about that ? I'm not disputing anything but I usually prefer to keep certain aspects of my private life private

Re bistros above, I also like Parcelles (charming place, good enough food, very nice wine list) … and Café des Ministères (more so in fall / winter for their Vol au Vent which is pretty decadent). I’ll note that I specifically only bothered to mention places that are new-ish and hence ones that folks may not already be familiar with

Re patisseries, it’s not really my thing (mainly because when I see a Paris Brest, for example, I actually only see another 90 minutes on the bike in the gym) and everyone seems to have their favorite. To the best of my knowledge the well-respected boutique names are still the same ones … for example Jacques Genin and Philippe Conticini. You’ll find them both in the Marais and the 7eme. Dans le 7eme, rue du Bac used to be quite the rue des pâtisseries but I’m not totally sure what’s open post-pandemic. I did read that La Pâtisserie des Rêves on rue du Bac closed (this was the one of the first places where their “works of art” were displayed like jewelry, covered / protected by clear glass half domes). I’m pretty sure that Des Gâteaux et du Pain is still alive and kicking and it’s right near the Conticini on rue de Varenne. Cedric Grolet of Le Meurice is an international star with an Instagram rivaling the Kardashians and hour long lines at his patisserie around the corner from Le Meurice in the 1st (what the lines are like nowadays, I have no idea). His ex-second, the young gun Maxime Frederic, who is no Instagram slouch either, left the Meurice a while ago, was then in charge of all pastry-dom at the Four Seasons including Le Cinq (which should be actively avoided now*) and more recently arrived at Cheval Blanc in Paris, where he is also in charge of all pastry-dom. Cheval Blanc is a new Paris luxe hotel that houses the newly-crowned 3* Plenitude and also has the ground floor Limbar that offers his “grand et petit goûter” at the expected luxury prices of the Arnault empire. There's plenty of others ... Sadaharu Aoki for the Asian twist ... Pierre Hermé is everywhere he shouldn't be ... blah blah blah

Sadly, I’m convinced it’s all about media stars now … as attests La Pâtisserie Cyril Lignac on rue Paul Bert with its (not-so-so-bad) lines out the door that I often see, even when exiting Saturday lunches at Loupiotes … and, based upon no information whatsoever, I dismissively look at the line and I am sure that those folks are there only because they like him from TV and not because his pastry is tasty. I walk past proudly … feeling superior … without any FOMO whatsoever … ha !

Come to think of it, I haven’t shared the whole truth, so I will now

I’ve recently had a bit of weakness and it worries me. You know what I just said about exiting Loupiotes le weekend, passing by La Pat Cyr Lig and never giving even a micro-thought to stooping to a stupid, sugar high … well actually, to be honest, I often wonder if I’m missing out on something deliciously important … if maybe my calorie concerns could be cramping my cupcake intake … this wondering builds and builds in my brain and becomes beast that needs to be battled night and day … and I usually win and slay that dragon but just this past weekend, after I passed Cyril’s sugar shop post-Loup that beastly weakness reared it’s ugly head a mere minute later as strolled by the new Chocolaterie Julien Dechenaud. I figured what’s the harm if I pop in there just for one free chocolate … because of course they are going to offer you a free chocolate if you seem to be seriously deliberating about their cocoa nuts … but I couldn’t help myself as that dirty devil-ish dragon stirred to life and the next thing I know, I walked out with a little box … competing with the cookie monster was much too much for me … and it was not just any cookie but their chocolate chocolate cookie … oh my oh my, that was a damn good cookie … but trust me, it was a one time thing … one and done … it’s over between us … a quick, once-in-a-lifetime daylight affair but now we are finished … forever … never ever with I show such rookie weakness for a cookie’s sweetness

IMG_5159.thumb.JPG.56e98698d1a057d0accdaba0b1229559.JPG

IMG_5160.thumb.JPG.ccabb54182efbe049b79ec2e7bd560a0.JPG

(Full disclosure - I've tried all their cookies 🙄, so skip the pretty pistache thingy and the other one and stick with the choc-choc 😉)

* I used to like Le Cinq but that was a long time ago … Le Squer seemingly spends all his time on Instagram, media matters, traveling and riding around town on his bicycle and seemingly no real time in the kitchen and actually thinking about or overseeing Le Cinq’s food … as it shows !

Random note - when a Marais friend told me his fave patisserie is Jacques Genin, I asked "mainly for their chocolates ?" cuz Genin is very well known for his chocolates, caramels, pâtes de fruits etc and he replied ...

Jacques Genin … Je ne mange pas de chocolat. Les gâteaux : tarte au citron au basilic, gros chou vanille, Paris Brest, 1000 feuilles (sur commande) …

Why do I bore you with this. Because that sur commande is highly relevant. During the week, Mon - Fri, their stores only sell the chocolates, caramels, pâtes de fruits retail and customers must order the day before for cakes (for at least 4 people) to pick up the next day. On Sat and Sun, they do sell a whole bunch of individual size pastry thingies. Naturally they are only baking this stuff for those 2 days so better be early than late, obviously. Further, Genin permanently shut down the salon de thé in the Marais store so it's all take away now

There's weird stuff like this to be aware of ... my advice - call places in advance to avoid making a wasted trip or being disappointed

IMG_8108.thumb.JPG.36145d9940a743b890b5ca6492a4738f.JPGJust wondering.... since you're in the neighborhood, have you tried this place yet?  On Blvd Beaumarchais, only a block or two up from the Bastille.

Do I know the place ? Yep

Have I walked by it dozens of times ? Yep

Have I looked at its corner location, its size, its grande terrasse, its décor, its wine / beer list ? Yes, indeed

Have I tried it ? Nope

Have I considered trying it ? Nope

Do I recall you mentioning it a few years ago ? Yep

Did I opt to take you up on your dare ? Nope, decided to nice instead (Imagine that, Steve !)

How did you like it ?

Yeah, I thought I'd try again to dangle the bait.  We rented directly across the street for a month & sat outside a total of once.  And that for a not bad salad.  It was raining and we didn't want to go indoors.  However, I did speak to them about their logo and pointed out that I live right where it left off in Brooklyn.  It didn't get me any comps.  All for the best, I presume.  Very nice wine store across the street on the corner though.

I get why Chambo says Table has gotten expensive. It objectively is. But its still a bargain compared to NYC. Wonderful meal.

Bruno spent his evening canoodling with two fashion woman at the bar. No complaints on the food. And I really like the way they do the menu discussion. I.e. its obviously a fixed menu but they want to have a discussion with you about it first.

L'Amboisie kitchen is the size of the original Westville's.   Meal was incredible and soo soo classic.  The sauces pared with the ingredients... Tho sadly I must report that while cheese was delicious the cart is now roughly half the size of Wilf's pic.

On 4/5/2022 at 1:23 PM, Steve R. said:

IMG_8108.thumb.JPG.36145d9940a743b890b5ca6492a4738f.JPGJust wondering.... since you're in the neighborhood, have you tried this place yet?  On Blvd Beaumarchais, only a block or two up from the Bastille.

I’ve tried it.  It’s mediocre unsurprisingly and better than it should be.  It’s most obviously not at all french but better than all of the places surrounding Places des Vosges.

On 4/6/2022 at 10:50 AM, Steve R. said:

Yeah, I thought I'd try again to dangle the bait.  We rented directly across the street for a month & sat outside a total of once.  And that for a not bad salad.  It was raining and we didn't want to go indoors.  However, I did speak to them about their logo and pointed out that I live right where it left off in Brooklyn.  It didn't get me any comps.  All for the best, I presume.  Very nice wine store across the street on the corner though.

Love that wine store- I shop there a lot and the guys are great.  For anyone still reading I think AT is phenomenal.  I have lots of other thoughts on the above but folks are free to PM if they’re traveling to Paris.