Being a "Regular"

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An assiduous drinker, who is capable of making himself "liked" by a number of bar-tenders at several local bars, can reduce his bar budget by around 30%. Or so I hear.

and, you don't run off the beautiful women . . . not that you were speaking of yourself in that example, of course.

• 3 weeks later...

Like others, I've found that the "being a regular" has numerous benefits other than the proverbial buy-back, comp, etc. Having an ancillary background in the bar/club business (a very long time ago, LOL), I often put myself in the position of the bartender, manager, etc. Anyway, I tend to tip very well (of course when it's deserved, when I get good service, good drinks, etc.). At various times I've been considered a regular in several places. I also tend to bring people to these places -- for the bar, restaurant, recommendations, etc. Being a regular also has obligations and expectations as well. I never try to show off and pull the "regular" cheezy moves, nor do I try and pull a power play.

Being a regular gets a bit of extra special attention. My area is kept cleaner, and more often. I get my drinks very diligently and promptly, and they are very generous pours. Seating is a tricky subject, however, I always get taken care of -- without offending or hurting anyone else. If I am staying for dinner, I am looked after in a variety of ways. The bartender takes care of me, so does the rest of the staff.

I had a friend who was disappointed with the lack of "regular" treatment he was getting. I told him that a regular doesn't have a sense of entitlement for preferential treatment, but gets "it" because they don't expect it or demand it, and they get "it" because of who they are and how they are being.

Eric

• 3 years later...

One way to become a regular is to eat regularly at the same restaurant. This gentleman has been dining at Sardi's since the 1930s, twice weekly in recent years. He has his own table for lunch, and even his own mug for coffee. At least twice weekly for 70 years works out to at least 7,000 meals.

Mr Herz initially began his regular dining there while he was working on Orson Welles Mercury Theater project. He's the last survivor of that acting team.

Sardi's restaurant