It arrived.

A rolled shoulder of 1.6 kg; a leg of something over 2kg: it's a small leg with sawn shank and with what appears to me to be the end of the loin still attached at the top; a liver that is rather larger than I would expect of such a creature - but then I never eat lamb's liver :rolleyes: ; a large flat package labelled 'flank' which I would call breast, including ribs; another package labelled 'flank' which is more like off-cuts; 12 chops; and the haggis.

v

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First step:

8 chops (they're in packs of 4) into the freezer. For the remaining 4 I've just made a marinade that is cooling, from Mark Peel & Nancy Silverton, of olive oil, garlic, herbs, red wine and pomegranate syrup. Will grill (in the British sense) tomorrow.

v

Grilled my chops. Managed to get them just right despite the fact that I don't often grill or roast and don't have an instinctive sense of timing.

Good. Not sure I'd say it's the best lamb I've ever had in my life, but also I don't have a benchmark in my mind for lamb, unlike beef (Portuguese mountain longhorn), for no particular reason. Perhaps if they had been grilled over charcoal it would have been a little different.

The chops are very small and cook quickly. Meat is pleasantly gamey without being strong. I'm not aware of that nasty smell of grilled lamb chops (clb will understand) that frequently plagues me on the stairs of this block of flats as I come home in the evening.

I'm not sure of the impact of the marinade, again because this is a style of cooking that I have rarely undertaken despite its convenience. Also, lamb chops were on the dinner table a little too frequently in childhood, so only now can I show enthusiasm.

v

Also, lamb chops were on the dinner table a little too frequently in childhood, so only now can I show enthusiasm.

A British thing? Yes, at least once a week, sometimes twice: two thoroughly cooked lamb chops, peas, mash. And maybe mint sauce. It does take the glamor out of rack of lamb when I go out to dinner now. (Francis Bacon: "I hope they don't give me gravy on mine..." :rolleyes: )

a liver that is rather larger than I would expect of such a creature -

V, maybe your lamb had a drinking problem.

:rolleyes:

You know it weighs 1lb ;)

Actually, I just went and looked at it again more carefully: I've in fact got the liver and two kidneys I didn't notice before. That makes more sense.

v

Also, lamb chops were on the dinner table a little too frequently in childhood, so only now can I show enthusiasm.

A British thing? Yes, at least once a week, sometimes twice: two thoroughly cooked lamb chops, peas, mash. And maybe mint sauce. It does take the glamor out of rack of lamb when I go out to dinner now. (Francis Bacon: "I hope they don't give me gravy on mine..." :rolleyes: )

Thankfully, in my father's house not thoroughly cooked. Just too high a frequency for my taste. Nota bene though that sweetbreads were nearly as frequent. And plaice more so. In fact I come over all funny (in a good way) at the plaice at St John as it is a direct hark back to childhood. It saddens me that I discovered St John properly after my father stopped being able to appreciate going to restaurants, since much of the cooking is totally after his style.

v

I just found a glorious recipe for lamb's kidneys called Dr Johnson's Pudding from a funny little book called Kitchenette Cookery. It so obviously has that pre-war spirit that I mentioned recently in another thread (re-Arabella Boxer) - what thread was it :rolleyes: It also involves steak, hard-boiled eggs, larks (optional) and oysters. However it requires 4 kidneys, I only have 2 and it's not a recipe to mess around with.

Too long to type up I might trying scanning and posting next week, it is such a delight.

v

An update.

The lamb liver didn't go down well with me - see supper thread. I knew it even before cooking, simply from the over-firm texture that simply didn't appeal to me as I was cutting it up. I think I'll stick with the occasional calves and chicken livers.

I've been procrastinating about the necessary butchering work on the rest of the lamb. This was intended at the weekend but I managed not to do it. Tonight I was committed to an Iraqi lamb and herb stew so I got to grips with the leg, boning it entirely (not difficult). A portion of this was cubed and became the stew with onion, Swiss chard, methi (fenugreek) leaves, coriander, chives, parsley, dill, cooked aduki beans, bit of tomato puree, the innards of a couple of dried limes. A lovely dish, similar to Iranian style cooking I think. Just as I felt things wouldn't work as I was handling the raw liver, I had the opposite sensation with the leg. The meat was such a pleasure to handle, and to eat.

Maybe tomorrow I'll bring myself to portion the remaining lamb leg for future planned dishes and freeze. Then there's the shoulder to deal with :lol:

All fun really. Just this annoying thing called work gets in the way.

v

It couldn't be put off any longer, so tonight the shoulder got minced as planned for last weekend :lol: Meat still fresh thank goodness.

I have a mincer attachment to my Kenwood that I almost never use as I can never get it to work properly. I set it up and as usual it immediately jammed. However this time, under the pressure of needing to mince 1.6kg of meat, I actually discovered the cause of my problems: I have never had the blade piece properly slotted onto the axle that turns. It required jamming on with a hammer. Once this was sorted the meat minced like a dream. Then process of portioning for future use, labelling and freezing. One portion in the fridge for another Iraqi dish of bread dough and mince meat cakes.

v