• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not yet. We were supposed to get one a couple of weeks ago, but the guy who was going to do the slaughtering was called out of town and I didn't find out in time in order to organize another plan. Hopefully I'll get it to happen in the next few weeks. They're still quite young.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally! Just spoke to the farmer this morning. Lamb will be slaughtered on Wednesday or Thursday, then hung in a large fridge, we will pick it up on Saturday morning and then all day Saturday is spitroasting day!

She said they're a bit under 50 lbs now and butchered should be half of that.

Can't wait - both sisters and their clans will be here. And good weather is forecast!

So the slaughter/butcher happened last evening, and it's cooling/hanging in a big fridge over at the farmer's place.

The guy who did the butchering came over after he was done to get paid, and brought me the guts I requested (heart, kidneys, tongue, liver) in a ziploc, and they were still hot.

Butchered, it's 27 lbs. $4 per lb.

I must post some of the photos. The lamb was really quite wonderful, and a big hit with the grownups and kids alike. It was also big fun all day - we turned it a quarter turn every 15 minutes, and my two big nephews (8 and 10) were in charge of that.

The leftovers are great too. Going to attempt to make some tortillas (will try to find decent masa to use) for more tacos - the tacos we had already used lousy supermarket tortillas, which is all I could find.

I made a huge pot of stock with all the bones, and there was plenty of fat and meat on those bones that I strained out, and even though I simmered it a long time, the meat still has some good flavor. The stock is very rich - I'm going to remove the fat layer and freeze it in containers.

So I picked out all the bones from the strained mush, which also has some vegetables in it, and I'm going to run it through a meat grinder. I thought I'd try to make something kofta/kebab-esque. I think I'll mix in some bulgur, spices, etc.

Soaked some bulgur, toasted some pine nuts.

Mixed in with the lamb mush

Added cumin, coriander, cloves, cinnamon, cayenne, chopped parsley, chopped garlic, egg, salt, pepper

Later will form into small oval patties and fry

Will serve tomato chutney and yogurt sauce on the side

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Anyone have a lamb ragu recipe that they like?

Carmellini's recipe in Urban Italian is very good. This is similar but the UI recipe requires only 1/2t each of coriander, cumin and aniseed, less tomato (a small tin, IIRC) and specifies 1.5 hours cooking. All of which sound better to me.

• 1 year later...

Slightly different approach to lamb shanks yesterday. Instead of cooking them in a casserole, I seasoned them and wrapped them fairly tightly in foil with some strips of carrot, plenty of fresh herbs and a splash of wine. Cooked in a very low oven for almost five hours. Kicked up the heat to roast some vegetables and finished the shanks unwrapped to brown them.

The payoff was that the fresh thyme and rosemary flavors pervaded the lamb very deeply. Served with cous cous and roasted sprouts and carrots.