Oh and a shit load of whiskey

Sadly, the pinkos that run this state decided that the state parks should be dry. Come on, who doesn't want to sit outside on a lawn chair drinking a beer after a long day!

That's what plastic cups were invented.

Water is your most important necessity. I assume your camper has a functional reservoir. If not, better figure out your per person needs.

Heavy duty foil is your friend, as is a wire grill. Use as few pans as possible on the campfire.

Marshmallows. Never enough marshmallows. S'mores are fine as a way to slow down marshmallow consumption, but a kid and a roasted marshmallow is a beautiful thing.

The camper has a reservoir, but I'm going to limit it to non potable use. I plan on taking some 2.5 gallon water jugs with us for drinking. There is a Walmart near by, just in case.

Foil in your friend, and so is duct tape... but that is a different story. :/

I have two bags of marshmallows for 3 days. I hope that is enough. One favorite is a banana roasted in a foil pack with chocolate chips, marshmallows, and peanuts... Spoon it onto a Graham cracker and you are golden.

Would brown sugar be over kill in your banana concoction. Or maybe, perhaps, well I don't know..... Maybe some whiskey

Water is your most important necessity. I assume your camper has a functional reservoir. If not, better figure out your per person needs.

Heavy duty foil is your friend, as is a wire grill. Use as few pans as possible on the campfire.

Marshmallows. Never enough marshmallows. S'mores are fine as a way to slow down marshmallow consumption, but a kid and a roasted marshmallow is a beautiful thing.

The camper has a reservoir, but I'm going to limit it to non potable use. I plan on taking some 2.5 gallon water jugs with us for drinking. There is a Walmart near by, just in case.

Foil in your friend, and so is duct tape... but that is a different story. :/

I have two bags of marshmallows for 3 days. I hope that is enough. One favorite is a banana roasted in a foil pack with chocolate chips, marshmallows, and peanuts... Spoon it onto a Graham cracker and you are golden.

Would brown sugar be over kill in your banana concoction. Or maybe, perhaps, well I don't know..... Maybe some whiskey

+ brown sugar = he'll never get the kids to settle down

+ whiskey = he'll have to carry their snoring little bodies to the tent/cabin as soon as they take their first bite.

It's DanM's call. :D

Oh and a shit load of whiskey

Sadly, the pinkos that run this state decided that the state parks should be dry. Come on, who doesn't want to sit outside on a lawn chair drinking a beer after a long day!

Wow! But don't let that stop you...

For a change from the banana thing, how about apples, brown sugar, butter, and maybe nuts (if no one is allergic) wrapped in aluminium foil and roasted? Would be nice on top of pancakes, or even mixed into oatmeal.

It's a fine idea but one of the things that you get with the banana boat thing is the banana skin because sacrificial. So you don't have to pay attention if you get a littl burning right inside the aluminum foil.

I decided a little practice was in order for this weekend. Lunch was a sandwich of sausage, sauerkraut, onions and mustard and a pie made from crescent dough, bananas, chocolate chips, marshmallows, and almonds. The sausage needed some swiss cheese and the crescent dough did not do much.... but yum!

https://goo.gl/photos/BQuGH2PhYBiTVSwo9

Any bean stew ideas out there that I can cook in the camp dutch oven? I have a few pounds of black, yellow eye and cranberry beans from the CSA share.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can we have a report of what you actually cooked and ate? Hits and misses? Easy vs too much work?

Everything has gone well so far. The plan of preparing as much as possible ahead of time and finish it necessary at the campsite has worked well.

Big Hits:

S'mores are always a bit with the kids

Pie irons have been fun. We have made a variety of sandwiches ranging from the sausage and sauerkraut to croque madam. Desert wise, we have made apple pies, pies filled with rhubarb compote, fresh strawberries, and cream cheese. We also made sandwiches filled with leftovers from the trip.

Pre-made grain based of also work very well. For the first trip I made a salad out of quinoa and a second trip I made a couscous salad with roasted tomatoes they prove to be very effective when anyone was hungry and need a quick bowl of food. I served the salad with a chub of smoked salmon or smoked trout depending what was available at the store.

Another hit was the ice cream ball. You fill one side with ice and salt and the other with an ice cream mix. The kids play with the ball and 20 minutes later they have ice cream to eat.

Mixed success so far with a camp dutch oven. I think it's more of a skills issue than anything else. The first meal I made was a tuna noodle casserole. It was a bit of a dud as it was too heavy for a hot long weekend out in the woods. The Frito pie with bean and vegetable chili was a pretty good success although it was a bit soupy. Naturally the kids wanted to only eat the chips.

The only big dud far was the muffins in a orange skin it is kitchy and but but it was covered in ash and not very good I would rather bring some pre-made.

I just remembered that I might have some Cub Scout camping recipes someplace. Then again, iirc they are of the muffin-in-an-orange-skin type. I'll check before I post anything.

ETA: Turns out I have the proof of a whole BSA Camp Cookery book. The recipes are scaled to serve 8. Maybe that won't work for you. And I think you probably have better taste that what's in the book. But if you're interested, I try to figure out a way to send you some of the material.