Even More Carefully worded post

The cast and producers of Hamilton will offer a special presentation to benefit the campaign fund of a major candidate for President. The show is Tuesday July 12, at 1pm.

(deleted the prices and restrictions part)

Edited by Rail Paul
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dee and I had the opportunity to see this musical recently. It's a wonderful, disorienting, exciting view of America's past. Delivered via rap.   The premise is a mostly accurate telling of the mess

Dreams do come true, folks.   I entered the Hamilton lottery this morning as usual, assuming there was only an evening performance (didn't notice the holiday schedule shift), so I hadn't set an alar

I'm trying to think of a concept that I would find less appealing than "rap on Broadway" I know everyone says it's good, it just can't be.

ADMIN POST

Thunk (and everybody), this is why you should AVOID POLITICAL "HUMOR". I'd have deleted your post if I'd seen it before it was responded to.

NOT ALLOWED ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD.

I revised my posts. It never occurred to me that it was"political" in a literal sense. Just an attempt to use terminology of the day in a humorous way.

Having finished listening to the album, I don't feel the need to actually see the musical. The power of hip-hop/rap is in the words themselves anyway, and from what I gather the staging itself is fairly minimal. I stand by my notion that years from now, this will be considering one of those musicals that changed the genre in a big way.

It did have another effect on me: I have a political science degree, and it brought me back to those days when I had to read The Federalist Papers for class.

Having finished listening to the album, I don't feel the need to actually see the musical. The power of hip-hop/rap is in the words themselves anyway, and from what I gather the staging itself is fairly minimal. I stand by my notion that years from now, this will be considering one of those musicals that changed the genre in a big way.

It did have another effect on me: I have a political science degree, and it brought me back to those days when I had to read The Federalist Papers for class.

I wouldn't call the staging minimal at all. The set isn't very elaborate, but the choreography, costumes, lighting, etc are fantastic For instance, I think the King George moments really need to be seen to get the full, hilarious effect. One of the reasons I'm dying to go again is that being in the front row I was able to see the performances perfectly, but I need to be further back to get the full effect.

There are a ton of forums and websites discussing the staging in detail. Go or not, it's your choice, but if you like the music, I think you'd love the show, and if they do a lottery when they open in SF, the odds will probably better than in NY.

Javier Muñoz made these video goodbyes to departing cast members Phillipa Soo, Leslie Ododm Jr. and Ariana DeBose (the ensemble member who plays The Bullet, another aspect of the staging I should have mentioned before, that carries immense emotional resonance). They're short, but worth watching to see how the goodwill and friendship among the cast members probably contributes to the onstage energy and intensity.

It's not a musical that should be judged on its musical merits alone. It's sui generis, really. I was lucky enough to see it early on, before it became a juggernaut. What I thought was its great strength, and what made it novel to me, is that it didn't just knock the dust off of old history - it dynamited the dust off, and in doing so, made it new and fresh and vital again. These are not the ossified old men in powdered wigs of portraiture - they're young and passionate, and full of rivalries and friendships and alliances and sexual pursuits and love triangles and all the ensuing chaos. Everything was so alive and earth-shatteringly present on stage. I'm curious as to what it will become after the cast shifts. Not in losing Lin Manuel Miranda: he sings and acts with all his heart, but he isn't the greatest singer or actor on the stage. Leslie Odom Jr., though ... it's difficult to picture Hamilton without his Burr, or without Philippa Soo, whose innate purity of voice and soul personify Eliza.

• Like 1

The interaction of the players is essential, and, from what I've read, the dynamic shifts regularly. Several of the original Broadway cast have been in this project for a half-decade. Through workshops, changes of cast members, reworking music and flow, etc. They are the characters.

I've always admired the courage of performers who are engaged as replacement players. "Here's the music, show up tomorrow for the dance session, and you go on in two weeks..."

I'd actually love to see the new cast (have always heard good things about Javier Munoz). But getting tickets to this thing ... yikes. Should do the lottery.

Definitely do the lottery! The odds might even be better now that LMM and the others have left.

Aside from the obvious ($10 tickets), you get treated like royalty at the theater. Every door person and usher will congratulate you as soon as they see your ticket, and seeing the performances from up so close is incredible.

Just make sure to set yourself an alarm to check your email when they release the results. I won on a day there's normally no matinee, and if I'd waited another 20 minutes to check my email, I would have lost my chance.

• Like 1

Daveed Diggs has left the roles of Lafayette / Jefferson. Rene Elise Goldsberry will leave "in the fall" per NY Times.

That's a full sweep of the top roles. Hamilton, Eliza, Anjelica, Burr, and Lafayette. Only Chris Jackson as Washington remains of the originals