Wilfrid

Barbecue in New York

Around ten years ago, a now late friend and his brother turned such a 1927 diner into a Kingston froufrou yet very locally sourced restaurant. It got good buzz but its old Facebook page is a diary of erratic hours, equipment breakdowns, and supply and bureaucracy woes. I don't think it lasted more than two years.

UrZL57C.jpg

x8VnIsu.jpg

RIP Angus, who before then also organized whole-hog and sides-of-beef buys from upstate ranchers, and drove the processed booty down to NYC so so many of us could pick out our shares and feast on great quality at the lowest cost.

Dt96ANL.jpg

Speaking of BBQ, I must buy a new, more grown-up smoker to replace the beginner's drafty gasser I've enjoyed for the last several years. The new pellet gizmos are appealing even if they mean milder smoking. I need insulation against strong wind and am tired of a million trips outside during every cook.

My new smoker can handle about 250 lbs per load.  :flirt:

• Like 2

There are some good old diners upstate.  There's still a Historic village Diner in Red Hook.

1920px-Village_Diner%2C_Red_Hook%2C_NY.j

I'm pretty sure there's one in Hudson, but I can't find a pic.  And I see a new fancy one opened last year in West Taghkanic:

west-taghkanic-diner-12.w1100.h733.jpg

I'd like to see more non-diner restaurants take over fallen diners. The architecture should be preserved. The only other one I can think of, though, is Biscuits and Barbecue in Mineola.

M. Wells gave it a go. The space is still there, though I think the sports bar next door may have expanded into it. 

A few of the old NYC ones were thankfully moved elsewhere, though a few important ones were demolished. Still sticks in my craw the River Diner on 11th was torn down - for fuck's sake, it was the After Hours diner. That shoulda been landmarked. 

And The Terminal/Lost/Video/Reel Diner (it went through a few names) on West St... I kept hoping the slowly-decaying shell of it would somehow go unnoticed, tucked away, and last forever. Had some very strange evenings there many, many years ago. Later it became the somewhat bougie Lunchbox, but I guess the location between an auto body shop and a strip club wasn't really bringing in the target demo.

I give it about twenty years before no single-story free-standing structures exist in NYC anymore. Maybe only ten for Manhattan.

For fuck's sake, they tore down the After Hours bank.

I thought he worked at The Credit Suisse Building on 23rd & Madison?

No no the round bank at the corner of Broadway and Howard, which makes a cameo appearance as they're wandering through the neighborhood.

No no the round bank at the corner of Broadway and Howard, which makes a cameo appearance as they're wandering through the neighborhood.

Ah, I've been meaning to re-watch that movie for years. This weekend seems perfect.

For fuck's sake, they tore down the After Hours bank.

And the The Emerald Pub (the IRL Terminal Bar) has been shut down for a bit... wonder if that building's on the chopping block. 

How is it I, who worship late 20th-century Downtown, have never seen this movie?

How is it I, who worship late 20th-century Downtown, have never seen this movie?

That movie is arguably one of the root causes of my moving to New York.

That movie is arguably one of the root causes of my moving to New York.

Hell, yes. I still want a bagel with cream cheese paper weight