Your home appliances are junk

"Make Maytag Great Again"

White goods on a relative basis have declined in relative price while increasing in size, efficiency and capability while reducing water and energy consumption. The trade for all of this is yes, more thrifting on the construction and potentially a decline in reliability. Of course the move from electro-mechanical controls to purely electrical is something people have been bitching about for 20 years, so who really knows. I'd honestly like to see reliability data.

Or to invert the problem. Look at the absurdly hideously good returns of the companies that sell extended warranties for appliances and that doesn't say failure rates are worse than history. Most appliance retailers don't actually make money on the upfront sale, but rather on the trail from stapling an extended warranty to the thing.

The big one to me is air conditioners. I basically replace them every 2 years, whereas the Freidrich air-conditioner I bought when we moved in to this apartment 13 years ago was a beast; sadly, I had to get rid of it when we replaced the windows last year.

The insides of the new a/cs are basically styrofoam and plastic. They rattle and make a ton of noise. The only saving grace is the fact that they're cheap.

We avoid bells and whistles like the plague, altho it's getting harder and harder to find anything basic or simple.

Husband was looking at car sound systems. The salesman kept addressing "the little woman", finally asking me what I wanted or expected. I told him, "On, off and no static."

This has become our criterion for appliances.

We've had good luck with our kitchen stuff, all purchased well over 10 years ago. Bosch range. Miele dw. Amana/Maytag bottom freezer refrigerator. Not a single issue with any of them, and now I'll probably have to replace all 3.

Is this an ad for the trump campaign? "what does America do well? Toilet paper that's soft and strong,and appliances that are about working and not saving the planet"

When trump wins I'm gonna replace our clothes washer with a tub powered by a 1956 evinrude outboard 2-stroke.

Love my Bosch dish washer. So quiet I have to look to see if it is operating. Worth every penny of the $75 premium over Whirlpool, etc.

I was extremely irritated with my Sears range. Didn't work well from the month I bought it, several service calls, which were difficult to schedule, and then it went out of service warranty. Made by Whirlpool under contract for Sears, based on the serial #. Wouldn't buy from either company again.

Is this an ad for the trump campaign? "what does America do well? Toilet paper that's soft and strong,and appliances that are about working and not saving the planet"

When trump wins I'm gonna replace our clothes washer with a tub powered by a 1956 evinrude outboard 2-stroke.

so you think gasoline will still be available or you have a secret stash

I think there's been a disjunction. Certainly refrigerators, stoves, dishwashers, ovens, etc. are much better than they've ever been.

A lot of other stuff is now plastic junk that breaks when you look at.

Any trade-off of performance against water and energy usage is something that has to be looked at globally (meaning the whole market, not necessarily the whole globe).

The switch to purely electronic controls is problematic.

The big one to me is air conditioners. I basically replace them every 2 years, whereas the Freidrich air-conditioner I bought when we moved in to this apartment 13 years ago was a beast; sadly, I had to get rid of it when we replaced the windows last year.

The insides of the new a/cs are basically styrofoam and plastic. They rattle and make a ton of noise. The only saving grace is the fact that they're cheap.

True, except for this beast:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003JN6T1E/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think there's been a disjunction. Certainly refrigerators, stoves, dishwashers, ovens, etc. are much better than they've ever been.

Our Fisher-Paykel refrigerator's door light, a function of the control panel, became intermittent within a month. Since it is in the country, and failure might not be noticed for several weeks, we were adamant about getting it repaired/solved immediately. -> calls to New Zealand 800 number, 1 diagnostic service call, 1 month securing part, 1 installation service call. Works fine now, but not at all sure we are better off with electronic controls, and certain that I don't need the bloodly "beep, beep, beep" every time I leave the door open for more than 30 seconds, as when unloading an ice chest or groceries.

At the same time, we plan to replace our city refrigerator with a F-P as soon as we get our ducks in a row. Superb design and configuration, relatively gutsy construction.

But we don't expect any appliance to match the Asko Asea dishwasher we installed in 1992 and still working perfectly. Those days are over. Will probably preemptively replace with a Bosch.

A lot of other stuff is now plastic junk that breaks when you look at.

Any trade-off of performance against water and energy usage is something that has to be looked at globally (meaning the whole market, not necessarily the whole globe).

they may be more efficient but they are certainly made cheaper even the premium brands.

Guess I have great luck with appliances. Fisher-Paykel fridge had problems with the ice maker after a year. Called the New Zealand number. They told me it wasn't built for New York water, but they upgraded since I purchased. Didn't send a repairman, just sent the new model fridge. And said if I had any problem with that, they would send another. 10 years later - all is well.

Bosch dishwasher is a dream and 15 years old. My GE double-oven range with five burners, which includes a griddle burner, is perfect. Not one issue in seven years and it's used a lot. Mini freezer made by Amana is 19 years old and has never had to be serviced.

However my counters are made of Corian and are showing signs of wear. They will be replaced with marble or granite within a year. The marble countertop where I serve dinner is as shiny as the day it was installed 19 years ago.