DanM

Lettuce overload

<snip>

Anyone have a good kohlrabi recipe?

Not specific recipes, but I use it to make a gratin (part potato, part kohlrabi, lots of cream). And it's great shredded for slaw. I've seen recipes for using the leaves in kimchi or pesto, but have not had the guts to try the first and am still working off some broccoli rabe pesto.

I feel the same way, I really like to shop. I do supplement my weekly box though.

The reason I really like my CSA is because I am such a creature of habit, I will always make the same things. My CSA has forced me to be creative with the abundance and also seek out different recipes for items that I don't usually get. For example a recent discovery for me was a revelation: roasted radishes. (I'm sure I'm late to that party!)

Anyone have a good kohlrabi recipe?

I just finished up a big batch of roasted radishes today. I had done them sauteed in butter before, but this was my first time roasting them too. So good.

This year I have a different CSA with smaller boxes, which leaves me more room for shopping, but I'm with you on liking the challenge of using items I'd probably never buy myself.

How about grilled kohlrabi?

while I don't disagree with Mongo, and part of me thinks the reason why we skipped the CSA this year was to avoid kohlrabi...

I like to slice it in the mandolin, salt and purge it, and then dress it with olive oil, lemon juice and some herbs, maybe some nuts for crunch. Maybe some fresh ricotta and feta as well.

Though to be honest that's pretty much what I do with everything.

Grilled escarole and smoked salmon was a hit. So was stir fried lettuce with garlic and a shiratake noodles. Tonight it is back to a plain lettuce salad with leftover smoked salmon.

1 more head of lettuce after that and I'm through this week's supply! It looks like have two more heads coming in next week with 2 more kohlrabi, kale, cukes, salad turnips, cabbage and scallions. Brassica overload time!

One nice thing about my CSA. If I don't pick up my share, it is donated to the local soup kitchen.

Ok, two things. They also have a flower csa. They agreed to sell us a share of leftovers and broken flowers for the kids to play with for $5 per week.

Grilled escarole and smoked salmon was a hit. So was stir fried lettuce with garlic and a shiratake noodles. Tonight it is back to a plain lettuce salad with leftover smoked salmon.

1 more head of lettuce after that and I'm through this week's supply! It looks like have two more heads coming in next week with 2 more kohlrabi, kale, cukes, salad turnips, cabbage and scallions. Brassica overload time!

One nice thing about my CSA. If I don't pick up my share, it is donated to the local soup kitchen.

Ok, two things. They also have a flower csa. They agreed to sell us a share of leftovers and broken flowers for the kids to play with for $5 per week.

There was a restaurant here, Millesieme (I'm blanking on the name--near Madison Square, in a hotel, well-known French chef; they featured Oakapple's review in their literature; closed now) that did a Ceasar salad with grilled romaine, possibly grilled red romaine? I was skeptical, but it was delicious.

ETA: I remembered the name!

Beautifully charred lettuce V.

And great proverb - for the record, I wag a lot and so do my horses.

Some recent CSA inspired meals:

Swiss chard = Ottolenghi's swiss chard cakes. The recipe calls for a sorrel yogurt sauce on the side but instead I went with my standard herby yogurt concoction that I've been putting on my frittatas (yogurt, garlic, s+p, lemon juice, dill and parsley). This was fantastic.

Escarole = a recipe that came with my weekly CSA email. braised in evoo (I added anchovy fillets), can of great northern beans (sorry rancho) braised in evoo and garlic till creamy and then combined. I couldn't believe how good this was and was tempted to buy another head this week but I refrained.

Kale and mustard greens = my standard greens and sausage braise. Very easy and goes through a bunch or two of hardy greens.

Up next are some zucchini fritters and a kohlrabi something or other.

Up next ... a kohlrabi something or other.

Abbylovi, I just read a recipe for a kohlrabi salad: peeled and sauteed quarters of kohlrabi combined with mixed greens and herbs then dressed with an ersatz Caesar dressing, topped with shards of pecorino.

Dressing = soft boiled egg, 2 anchovy and their "jus", juice of 1 lemon, 25cl sunflower oil, some pecorino.

This from Mokonuts restaurant, Paris.