DanM

Lettuce overload

This is going to sound titanically stupid and overblown (and self-pitying), but most weeks I feel like the only thing that gives my life meaning is going to the Greenmarket to shop. I wouldn't give that up for anything.

• Like 1

I love greenmarket shopping too and still do it at least once a week. In addition to what I said before, my CSA also allows me to take a long, beautiful bike ride - another one of my great loves.

Oh and any collard recipe recs?

The book I'm working on right now suggest using them in place of tortillas to make burritos. For prep, she says:

Cut the thick stems from the collard leaves with scissors or a knife so the leaves look like round tortillas. With a fork, mash the center veins to make them more pliable. (Mashing the center vein is the big secret to collards being awesome wraps.)

Personally, I think they could use a very light steaming (or nuking) to soften them, too. Awfully chewy raw.

Or you could use them to make kimchi.

There was a restaurant here, Millesieme (I'm blanking on the name--near Madison Square, in a hotel, well-known French chef; they featured Oakapple's review in their literature; closed now) that did a Ceasar salad with grilled romaine, possibly grilled red romaine? I was skeptical, but it was delicious.

ETA: I remembered the name!

Millesime (note the correct spelling) is still open. It's in the Carlton Hotel, on the corner of Madison Ave. & 29th St. The grilled romaine is still on the menu.

The restaurant in the Carlton that closed was the formal one whose name escapes me though I'm sure we can count on oakapple to remember it.

Cut the thick stems from the collard leaves with scissors or a knife so the leaves look like round tortillas. With a fork, mash the center veins to make them more pliable. (Mashing the center vein is the big secret to collards being awesome wraps.)

Personally, I think they could use a very light steaming (or nuking) to soften them, too. Awfully chewy raw.

Or you could use them to make kimchi.

Tried them raw once. As Suzanne says, chewier than I wanted for a wrap. May try again with a bit of nuking/steaming.

You could also use them instead of cabbage leaves in stuffed cabbage--but that's not really a dish for this weather. (OTOH, using chard leaves lightens it considerably, but that's not what you asked for advice about.)

Same book has instructions for collard chips: Tear leaves into chip-size pieces, toss with olive oil, spread on baking sheets, bake at 300ºF for 18 minutes until crisp.

Thanks for the collard suggestions.

Fennel frond ideas besides pesto and using as you would use dill?

my nana used to make a casserole with grits and collard greens, definitely rib sticking. i'd probably deconstruct that and stew the greens and serve over grits (the real coarse kind, not the instant). cooking your grits and your greens in stock rather than water adds a nice lift in the flavors

Thanks for the collard suggestions.

Fennel frond ideas besides pesto and using as you would use dill?

dampen them and wrap them around fish before grilling or baking in foil/parchment respectively