Sign in to follow this  
joethefoodie

Dad Becomes YouTube Food Sensation

Good article by Kevin Pang, whose dad has become quite the You Tube star...

I was working as a metro news reporter at The Chicago Tribune when I was offered a position on the paper’s food writing staff. I had zero experience, but I did have one advantage: I was Cantonese. We Cantonese have a love of eating that borders on mania. Our people eat every part of almost every animal; we were the original snout-to-tail diners, long before hipsters hijacked the term. Hong Kong, where I lived until age 6, is a place where instead of asking “How are you?” we greet one another with “Have you eaten yet?”

Food was my dad’s obsession. He had always been a marvelous cook. He dreamed of being one of those Iron Chefs in white toques who enter Kitchen Stadium through dramatic fog. Much of the joy of Chinese food for him seemed nostalgic: He always lamented his decision to leave his beloved Hong Kong, to come here, to a foreign land, for the sake of his children.

Good article by Kevin Pang, whose dad has become quite the You Tube star...

...Hong Kong, where I lived until age 6, is a place where instead of asking “How are you?” we greet one another with “Have you eaten yet?”

Is there anyone on the planet who doesn't know this at this point?

Actually we have a similar phrase in Philly: "hey, djeet? djeeyet?"

We have a similar phrase in New York...jew eat? did jew?

That's really not the gist of the article, however. I did find it a bit poignant.

Maybe I'm being unfair but I don't know if I need another food-focused Bildungsroman...

(Although the you tube channel thing is good.)